Hp dl380 g5

matthew

Renowned Member
Jul 28, 2011
Purchased a used DL380G5 and added 32G of RAM and 8 750G drives in RAID6. How are these units working out to run ProxMox?

the 2TB limit does not apply anymore, so the raid6 can be used for installation - depends on what you wanna store and you want to organize your system.

I setup RAID6 on this server as seen below.

>>Drive Write Cache: Disabled

Says write cache is disabled. Since I have battery shouldn't it be enabled? One of the servers I want to move to this box is currently on software RAID1 with two drives and I want to improve I/O. Will this be a step up?

Smart Array P400 in Slot 1
Bus Interface: PCI
Slot: 1
Serial Number: X
Cache Serial Number: X
RAID 6 (ADG) Status: Enabled
Controller Status: OK
Hardware Revision: Rev D
Firmware Version: 7.22
Rebuild Priority: Medium
Expand Priority: Medium
Surface Scan Delay: 15 secs
Surface Scan Mode: Idle
Wait for Cache Room: Disabled
Surface Analysis Inconsistency Notification: Disabled
Post Prompt Timeout: 0 secs
Cache Board Present: True
Cache Status: OK
Accelerator Ratio: 25% Read / 75% Write
Drive Write Cache: Disabled
Total Cache Size: 512 MB
No-Battery Write Cache: Disabled
Cache Backup Power Source: Batteries
Battery/Capacitor Count: 1
Battery/Capacitor Status: OK
SATA NCQ Supported: True

Array: A
Interface Type: SATA
Unused Space: 0 MB

I setup RAID6 on this server as seen below.

>>Drive Write Cache: Disabled

Says write cache is disabled. Since I have battery shouldn't it be enabled? One of the servers I want to move to this box is currently on software RAID1 with two drives and I want to improve I/O. Will this be a step up?

I think this are two different things:

1. Memory build inside hard disk itself
2. Memory on the raid controller with BBU

so if you do enable DWC, BBU won't know for it and in case of power failure/etc you are risking for data loss.
http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Genera...e-cache-on-P400-Smart-Controller/td-p/4732601

So will Hardware Raid6 with 8 sata drives perform better then software Raid1 with 2 drives?

So will Hardware Raid6 with 8 sata drives perform better then software Raid1 with 2 drives?

If not the raidcontroller is very ugly, then of course yes. You got an much better readperformance (you can read from all disks at the same time) and for the write-performance the controller-cache is needed. If you also need a huge write-performnce go for raid-10.
Raid1 is only for redundancy, not for speed.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!