How to view Proxmox's last actions?

eiger3970

Sep 9, 2012
Hello,
my Proxmox server is set to automatically backup the VMs at the end of the month, then SSH the backed up VM files to my computer.

My Proxmox disk was too full to store the backups, and now the disk shows as 100% full.

So, I would like to view a history of Proxmox to see what actions Proxmox really did last night and then check where the backups were stored to.

I checked root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz/dump which shows vzdump-qemu-161-2014_11_19-15_24_51.vma.lzo.
I'm guessing this is one of the backups, but don't want to delete it in case it's the actual file to run the VM.

Any help please?

Hello,
my Proxmox server is set to automatically backup the VMs at the end of the month, then SSH the backed up VM files to my computer.

My Proxmox disk was too full to store the backups, and now the disk shows as 100% full.

So, I would like to view a history of Proxmox to see what actions Proxmox really did last night and then check where the backups were stored to.

I checked root@proxmox:/var/lib/vz/dump which shows vzdump-qemu-161-2014_11_19-15_24_51.vma.lzo.
I'm guessing this is one of the backups, but don't want to delete it in case it's the actual file to run the VM.

Any help please?
Hi,
take a look in the logfile (/var/log/syslog, or the older one /var/log/syslog.1).

It's allways an good idea to use an separate partition for backup.

Udo

Thanks, that shows some stuff.
Although, I had to use # nano syslog.1.
Not really much info there to find out where the auto backup files have been stored.

I couldn't install vim?
I might make a new thread on how to install vim on Proxmox.
yum install vim gives error, -bash: yum: command not found.
apt-get install vim, installs, but fails 25% of the way through.

Last edited:
Is there some reason you expected yum to work at all? This isn't red hat/centos/fedora....

I guess I wasn't sure and as my Proxmox is running on a CentOS 6.5 system, I thought that as the apt-get command failed, perhaps it was a Red Hat command.
Nevertheless, I have fixed the issue, which was vi was installed on Proxmox, so I installed vim. I also had to update my resolv.conf file to the correct gateway IP.

Sorry, I don't.
I have one of my Proxmox VM's running on CentOS for a webserver.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!