how to use my synology NAS has the backup store

shiham

Oct 30, 2020
Hi Guys ,

i am new to proxmox and trying (testing ) how to backup to my Synology NAS.

on LAN

Proxmox VE is on laptop
Proxmox Backup server is in a different laptop
with Synology NAS DS218j
all 3 connected to the same LAN 1Gbps. 8 port switch

Well... the question is: do you just want an NFS-Storage for "classic" backups using "vzdump" or do you want state-of-the-art backup using the very new "Proxmox Backup Server"?

Actually I am doing this: I have a virtual Proxmox Backup server on my Synology, fresh installed with the first (or second?) public .iso. The VM uses storage provided via NFS by the Synology-Host.

In my VMs fstab you can find something like:

Code:
10.3.110.100:/volume5/ActiveBackupforBusiness/proxmox/pbsb      /srv/dsa        nfs     _netdev,noatime 0       0

On the other hand this virtual PBS is integrated in a very small PVE-cluster. Everything I did was very well documented in the official docs, no miracles noticed.

Of course we know PBS is just "beta", but I didn't have any noticable hickups in my past. So for me this is the way to go. My personal alternative would be native Borg-Backup (I am using it in other places) - but that approach would simply lack integration...

Thank you, Proxmox - PBS is very impressive!

HI UdoB,

i am trying to use Proxmox backup server has a backup solution for my proxmox VE

HI Udo,

root@pbs:/# mount nfs pbsbak:/volume1/pbs /mnt/pbs i can mount the drive like this, but after the restart, it goes of,

did add a shell scripting Debian for crontab root, it is not mounting did try your command getting the below error.

root@pbs:/# mount nfs 172.23.0.210:/volume1/pbs /mnt/pbs nfs _netdev,noatime 0 0
mount: bad usage
Try 'mount --help' for more information.

Try # mount -t nfs.... (Mind the "-t")

This is my actual line in my fstab:
Code:
10.3.110.100:/volume5/ActiveBackupforBusiness/proxmox/pbsb      /srv/dsa        nfs     _netdev,noatime 0       0
Best regards

Reactions: shiham
HI Udob , i managed to add the NAS

did this and add

nano /etc/fstab

172.23.0.210:/volume1/pbs /mnt/pbs nfs _netdev,noatime 0 0

and restart

i am trying to create a data store but it is not showing the mapped drive.

Last edited:
root@OMVMC5601PROBAK:~# proxmox-backup-manager disk list
┌──────┬──────┬─────┬───────────┬─────────────┬───────────────┬─────────┬────────┐
│ name │ used │ gpt │ disk-type │ size │ model │ wearout │ status │
╞══════╪══════╪═════╪═══════════╪═════════════╪═══════════════╪═════════╪════════╡
│ sda │ lvm │ 1 │ hdd │ 34359738368 │ QEMU_HARDDISK │ - │ passed │
└──────┴──────┴─────┴───────────┴─────────────┴───────────────┴─────────┴────────┘

Well... from my mind - without checking the documentation:

First you have mounted your remote NFS to a local mount point. That is great and correct.:)

Now you must tell the PBS-software itself that this mount point should be used:

Go to the Backup Server Web frontend. On the left overview at the very bottom is Add Datastore. Do that ;-)

The name is whatevery you want it to be.The "Backing path" is your /mnt/pbs.

Best regards

Hi Udob, Thank you! i did that but it was not creating,

1604414783701.png

root@OMVMC5601PROBAK:~# df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev 2197004 0 2197004 0% /dev
tmpfs 444176 6140 438036 2% /run
/dev/mapper/pbs-root 24381792 1423476 21696748 7% /
tmpfs 2220872 0 2220872 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 2220872 0 2220872 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
172.23.0.210:/volume1/pbs 15494735488 52736 15494563968 1% /mnt/pbs
tmpfs 444172 0 444172 0% /run/user/0

Verify the ownership of that mount point. It should NOT be owned by root!

PBS is running as a user named backup and there is a corresponding group. My mount point reflects this:

Code:
~# 0  ls -Al /srv/
total 0
drwxrwx--- 1 backup backup 162 Nov  1 03:19 dsa

for me it is coming under the root, did create a user account and change the ownership, after each restart it changes back to root.

drwxrwxrwx 11 root root 4096 Nov 4 09:29 backup

or we have to do the mapping under this user

It took a bit of Googling, but I ended up with this connect script (in the PBS VM):

#!/bin/bash -x

iscsiadm -m node --portal "172.22.22.34:3260" --targetname "iqn.xxxx.yy.com.synology:nas.Target-x.yyyyyyy" --login

mount /dev/sdc1 /store2

Then I added the /store2 directory to the datastores.

would be cool to have iscsi support to PBS in the UI.... Just saying

If you use network storage like iscsi, you send all your backup data multiple times through the network. Not the most efficient way.

=> use direct attached storage for best performance.

Reactions: shiham and benoitc
If you use network storage like iscsi, you send all your backup data multiple times through the network. Not the most efficient way.

Not necessarily. My Proxmox server has 4 ethernet interfaces. I reserve one for my NAS, which is in the same rack so that's fairly trivial.

It would be even better if I could run PBS on the NAS, but I haven't found anything that matches that.

Last edited:

yeah I agree. Though sometimes you don't have many choice. For the time beeing i was thinking to do that using a pair of 1Gbps links directly plugged to the NAS. In the mean time I'm looking for a machine with a short deph that i can put on the rack for it. It would be cool indeed to have it installed directly in the NAS. A synology or qnap package for ex.

Reactions: shiham

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!