How to train for spam

Here's another good example of BAYES catching stuff that other rules did not:

Code:
X-SPAM-LEVEL: Spam detection results:  7
    BAYES_99                  3.5 Bayes spam probability is 99 to 100%
    BAYES_999                 0.2 Bayes spam probability is 99.9 to 100%
    HTML_MESSAGE            0.001 HTML included in message
    KAM_DMARC_STATUS         0.01 Test Rule for DKIM or SPF Failure with Strict Alignment
    KHOP_HELO_FCRDNS        0.398 Relay HELO differs from its IP's reverse DNS
    RCVD_IN_RP_RNBL          1.31 Relay in RNBL, https://senderscore.org/blacklistlookup/
    RDNS_DYNAMIC            0.982 Delivered to internal network by host with dynamic-looking rDNS
    SPF_HELO_NONE           0.001 SPF: HELO does not publish an SPF Record
    SPF_SOFTFAIL            0.665 SPF: sender does not match SPF record (softfail)

Right now, I have my hard reject level set at 9 - but as I get more confidence in results, I'm aiming to bring that number down.

So I got a bit sick of having no real solution to this - so I hacked something together....

My path structure is /vmail/$user/ for email. I use a Spam folder which ends up at /vmail/$user/.Spam/cur and /vmail/$user/.Spam/new

Set up an SSH public / private key to allow you to log into your PMG from your mail server. I won't cover this here - the instructions are a google search away if required.

On your mail server end, add the following script to your cron:

Bash:
#!/bin/bash
MAILFILTER=10.1.1.94

for i in /vmail/*/.Spam/cur/* /vmail/*/.Spam/new/*; do
        if [ -f "$i" ]; then
                STATUS=`file "$i"`
                if [[ $STATUS == *"gzip"* ]]; then
                        gunzip -d -c "$i" > /tmp/tempmail.$$
                fi
                if [[ $STATUS == *"bzip2"* ]]; then
                        bzip2 -d -c "$i" > /tmp/tempmail.$$
                fi
                if [[ $STATUS == *"SMTP mail"* ]]; then
                        cp "$i" /tmp/tempmail.$$
                fi

cat /tmp/tempmail.$$ | ssh root@$MAILFILTER report
                if [ $? != 0 ]; then
                        echo "Error running sa-learn. Aborting."
                        exit 1
                fi
                rm -f "$i"
                rm -f /tmp/tempmail.$$
        fi
done

On the PMG end, add `command="/root/bin/spam-reporter"` to your public key in /root/.ssh/authorized_keys.

Put this on your PMG as /root/bin/spam-reporter:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh
case "$SSH_ORIGINAL_COMMAND" in
        report)
                sa-learn --spam
                ;;
        revoke)
                sa-learn --ham
                ;;
        *)
                echo "Wwwwhat?"
                ;;
esac

What will happen is that your mail server will end up reporting each spam message via sa-learn on the PMG system - which should allow your bayes filter to learn your spam a little better...

Trying to setup for my zimbra mail, would the concept be the same? but as zimbra uses a different way to store emails

Trying to setup for my zimbra mail, would the concept be the same? but as zimbra uses a different way to store emails

You would need to adapt the mail server side script (not the PMG side) to reflect the correct paths / formats of your message store - whatever that may be...

The concept itself should still work however...

Reactions: killmasta93

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!