How to train for spam

Discussion in 'Mail Gateway: Installation and configuration' started by EagleEye, Feb 2, 2018.

1. EagleEye

EagleEye New Member

Hi,
    I have setup the GW 5.0, but today I get a lot of spam. My old gateway had a function to learn what is spam.
    Is there an option in this gateway solution or did I have to define my own kind of rules?

2. ChFin

ChFin Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

- The bayesian filter and auto white list features have auto learning algorithms. (Admin Manual -> Spam Detection Feaetures)
    - You can examine X-Spam headers in several emails to see how spamassassin is evaluating them, make small adjustments to the score on one of the rules and examine the headers again. (Admin Manual -> Custom SpamAssassin Configuration)
    - collect spam mails and feed them to spamassassin manually

3. EagleEye

EagleEye New Member

Hi this is what I intent to do, is there a function the gateway to do this?
    Or did I have to put the mails manual on the machine and give them to sa?

4. Christoph Engelbert

Christoph Engelbert New Member

I ran the same old system (scrollout f1) an that had an IMAP account to put whitelist / blacklist / training emails to. It was actually a very convenient way to train the system.

5. marcusone

marcusone New Member

Has Proxmox done any work on this kind of feature yet? is it planned for future releases?
    There really does need to be an easy way to train for spam messages missed by the system.

6. ChFin

ChFin Member
    Proxmox VE Subscriber

Unsupervised learning from SpamAssassin rules ( = autolearning ) is enabled. It's efficient & fast. For a site-wide bayesian filter I doubt that any additional (manual) training by users provides better results especially when they provide ham as spam or vice versa. I personally don't see the need for additional manual learning even if you start from scratch.

DerDanilo likes this.
  7. Manxmann

Manxmann New Member

Hi Folks,

Sorry to drag up an oldish thread.

We have just moved over from Barracuda to PMG, as a result we are quite rightly due to a lack of learning seeing a lot of SPAM messages getting through.

Whilst I appreciate the 'auto learn' feature and all its benefits when the calls, no screams, to turn back on the Barracuda reach the level I now have to defend there has to be something that can be done to expedite the 'learning'.

We have had the PMG in place now for 2 months and the honesty the catchment rate isn't really improving.

Being able to setup a 'SPAM' / 'HAM' set of mailboxes and using these to teach SA is a must.

Has anyone used the manual SA-LEARN util with PMG, what method of feeding the mail into the system do you use given PMG isn't a full mailserver and hence there are no mbox/mbx/maildir folders to scan?

Cheers

8. marcusone

marcusone New Member

I agree, this is a much needed addition !

9. tom

tom Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

I doubt that this will help. Instead, make sure that you have optimized settings and rule system setup.

If you have suitable subscription agreement, just send your config to our support team and they can check your settings and can assist finding the best configuration for your needs.

10. guletz

guletz Active Member

Hi,

I am not using PMG, but I am an old postfix / mail admin. And during many years I try many things for spam protection. In my own opinion if you want to reduce the spam, training spamassassin have a very low inpact.
    The most effective setup is to use many tools who has nothing to do with your mail stack like:

- firewall, the effectiveness could be around 10 %
    - block many country ip networks as you can ( you must check what country could be blocked in your case - in may case, I block 3 countries: RU, UA, CN ) - in this case my spam rate was reduced with 40 %
    - use headers/body filter
    - users traings and good black lists
    - block any fail auth via smtp/dovecot (I drop in firewall any fail auth from the same IP if the client have 4 or more wrong auth / 60 minutes )
    - make your own dns for unwanted countries ,like country .XY dns domain have 127.0.0.24 , so no email can not be sent to you
    - denied any clients connection to your smtp if the client do not have a fixed Ip in reverse (like ppp*, ppoe*, dynamic*, etc)

In my country is not possible to run a mailserver on a dynamic IP, and tcp 25 port is forbiden by ANY ISP. Unfortunately many other EU don't use this simple rule. Another problem that help a lot for any spam deliver is the fact that many biggest ISP from EU do not take any action to force their own clients if they recive a documented spam complain (mybe GDPR will change this), even if this ISP is very huge (I do not want to say any names)

So the spam is possible because many huge ISP do not want to solve this.

As I said in my case for with this settings I receive in the worst case around 2-3 spams for around 100 mail-users.

11. heutger

heutger Member

I will try to get use of artinvoice.hu/spams/ soon, hopefully, this will optimize the spam detection

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice