How to Test Proxmox Email Notifications?

Seed

Oct 18, 2019
Is there a service or something simple I can intentionally break to trigger an email notification to be sent out?

You could just try to send an email via cli e.g.

# mail -s "Test" user@example.com

You could just try to send an email via cli e.g.

# mail -s "Test" user@example.com

im looking for more of a way to test the notifications that should fire from the service. Mail works fine from cli.

I am as well.
The shell commands successfully send me a test email, but, is there anything we can "break" to trigger a system event worthy of an email? :)
(it's one of the out of the box cool things of Proxmox, so now two months in, I just want to know it's working)

or, can we configure system bootup, to send an email? increase log verbosity, or...? :)

I'm looking for the same thing. Anybody knows how to do it?

Apart from launching each time a new VM-backup job configured to send emails...

Sorry if I reopen this old thread, but having the need to test email notifications today, I ended up running a backup of the smallest VM we have. I did it from the command line:
Bash:
vzdump --mode=snapshot --quiet=1 --mailnotification=always --mailto=me@example.com --node=node1 --storage=backup --compress=zstd 101

Same issue here. Since I minded especially about zfs notifications, I ended up creating a throwaway zfs pool with two USB sticks and removing one of them. This triggered a notification. (I had to write something into the pool after removing one usb stick for zfs to detect that it is missing)

Reactions: spoodie
I also found myself in need of a way trigger a noteworthy event without actually bringing anything down. In my case, backups notifications are working, but not disk errors, they seem to be on separate channels.

PVE should include a way to test notifications. Nothing works until they are tested to be working.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taomyn
I also found myself in need of a way trigger a noteworthy event without actually bringing anything down. In my case, backups notifications are working, but not disk errors, they seem to be on separate channels.

PVE should include a way to test notifications. Nothing works until they are tested to be working.
Actually there is an option to test the notification system with Proxmox VE 8.1.3

Under
Datacenter > Notifications > Notification Targets
you can specify how to notify and in the Taskbar is a Button "Test" which tests the selected notification option.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!