how to take incremental backup ?

fasi74

Jun 24, 2021
I have a Proxmox VE server and a Proxmox Backup Server 2.0 in my environment, now i have this running container which i am taking backup of in the PBS server, now the problem is that every time i run manually the "Backup now" and backup the machine it is taking full backup of the device ? how can i back it up in a way that it saves space on the backup server Datastore.

Kind Regards

please post the full backup task log

Reactions: fasi74
last backup task log.

NFO: starting new backup job: vzdump 107 --storage BackupExt --remove 0 --mode snapshot --compress zstd --node pve
INFO: filesystem type on dumpdir is 'cifs' -using /var/tmp/vzdumptmp361278_107 for temporary files
INFO: Starting Backup of VM 107 (lxc)
INFO: Backup started at 2021-11-25 11:11:59
INFO: status = running
INFO: CT Name: HelpDesk
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: mode failure - some volumes do not support snapshots
INFO: trying 'suspend' mode instead
INFO: backup mode: suspend
INFO: ionice priority: 7
INFO: CT Name: HelpDesk
INFO: including mount point rootfs ('/') in backup
INFO: starting first sync /proc/3446123/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp361278_107
INFO: first sync finished - transferred 1.19G bytes in 17s
INFO: suspending guest
INFO: starting final sync /proc/3446123/root/ to /var/tmp/vzdumptmp361278_107
INFO: final sync finished - transferred 0 bytes in 5s
INFO: resuming guest
INFO: guest is online again after 5 seconds
INFO: creating vzdump archive '/mnt/pve/BackupExt/dump/vzdump-lxc-107-2021_11_25-11_11_59.tar.zst'
INFO: Total bytes written: 1123409920 (1.1GiB, 60MiB/s)
INFO: archive file size: 332MB
INFO: Finished Backup of VM 107 (00:00:46)
INFO: Backup finished at 2021-11-25 11:12:45
INFO: Backup job finished successfully
TASK OK

that is not using PBS at all.. you need to configure a PBS storage in PVE and use that as backup target..

Reactions: fasi74
Oh sorry my bad, so incremental or optimized storage only work with PBS and not a simple file share like CIFS or NFS ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!