How to start a VM on another cluster if home server is not available

Aron Dijkstra

Aug 6, 2016
Hi,

I wonder how can we start a VM on another server when the server that has the configuration is stopped?
There is a cluster but HA is not available at the moment because we are setting up and testing fencing.

Using Migrate when the node with the configuration is down does not work....

With regards,

Aron

if the node is down for sure and all the disks are on shared storage, you can move the config file in /etc/pve/ from one node sub folder to another (manually, on the shell, with "mv"). but you must only do this when you are 100% sure that the node and VM are down!

no, everything in /etc/pve is synced in a cluster.

@fabian

Sorry for bringing this up on an old topic.

if the node is down for sure and all the disks are on shared storage, you can move the config file in /etc/pve/ from one node sub folder to another (manually, on the shell, with "mv"). but you must only do this when you are 100% sure that the node and VM are down!

After doing this and start VMs on another node on the cluster, How can I safely bring up the stopped/crashed server back?

I get that if I start the stopped server again it will corrupt the volumes of VMs that I already moved to another node manually. How to avoid that and bring back the stopped node? Is this possible to do without removing the failed node from the cluster?

Thanks

If you moved the content in /etc/pve then the node will sync this directory upon reboot and realize that the VM has been moved. There should be no trouble.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!