How to spin new VMs with a template

escaparrac

Jun 2, 2022
Hi everyone.

I created an Ubuntu VM with some services inside running.

I like what I did, and I would love to duplicate that VM for some friends to use with their settings.

Is there any way to:

Create a VM
Install Ubuntu (with a custom IP address)
Install and update the required packages
Open SSH access
Create some folders
Download some GitHub repos
Input user variables in the config files
Install and run those repo services
Enjoy

I heard of Ansible, but I don't know if I need that. Maybe I could do an executable file on the first start, but I don't know if it is possible to do all I want to do.

Couls you give me some hints or a place to start?

Best.

In general the thing you want to google for is "create linux golden image" or swap linux with ubuntu.

Blockbridge: Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
You might also want to google for "cloud-init".
Thanks both; I'll start checking out.

If you happen to have any guide around that covers something similar to what I want to do, it would be something lovely to have.

Hi @bbgeek17 and @Dunuin. I did it with cloud-init in the end :)

It suits my style and I can do what I want with it. I need to battle a bit now for the installation of some apps that need variables to be added to some files, but I think I can make it work :)

Reactions: Darkk and bbgeek17

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!