How to setup Proxmox networking configuration with two public IPs and a VLAN?

hauni

Feb 15, 2022
My hosting provider is Vultr; I run Proxmox on a dedicated BM server. The host perfectly connects to the internet; however, any VM I create does not connect to the network.

Desired outcome: The hypervisor Proxmox has its public IP, then one VM should have its dedicated public IP (the second public IP), and the other VMs should run in a LAN routed through the host or in a dedicated VLAN.

Having read through this: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration and tried several configurations led to no successful attempts of VMs connecting to my network.

This is my current setup without having added a LAN:

Code:
source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface lo inet6 loopback

iface enp1s0f0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address <public-ip1-of-proxmox-guest)>/<subnet>
gateway <gateway-of-public-ip1-proxmox-guest>
 bridge-ports enp1s0f0
 bridge-stp off
 bridge-fd 1
 pointopoint <public-ip2-for-dedicated-VM>
 bridge_hello 2
 bridge_maxage 12

auto vmbr100
iface vmbr100 inet manual
 bridge-ports none
 bridge-stp off
 bridge-fd 0

What would you advise or require any additional information to solve this issue?

I have a similar situation in a Hetzner dedicated server do you have found any solution ??? The only deference is that it have one public IP, but I don't need any vm with public IP.

I have a similar situation in a Hetzner dedicated server do you have found any solution ??? The only deference is that it have one public IP, but I don't need any vm with public IP.
you would need a Masquerading setup and then assign IPs statically. If you wan't to access services of the VMs you would need todo port forwarding. I think there are quite a lot of threads here for this.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!