how to setup permissions for nextcloud container

luciandf

Feb 20, 2020
Hello all,

I have just jumped into the world of proxmox and it appears I hit the shallow end because I got stuck...

I have a PC I turned into a server. I installed proxmox on an ssd and I have 3x8TB hdds in a zfs z1 raid I plan to use to nextcloud and another group of 3 I plan to use for media and share the files on the network. Anyway, I started first with the nextcloud install, for which I used an appliance. I can now login on the nextcloud webpage and look around nextcloud. The permission problem appeared when I tried to update nextcloud. I get the following error:

• Check for write permissions
    The following places can not be written to:
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../public.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../console.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../COPYING
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../status.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../occ
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../AUTHORS
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../cron.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../.htaccess
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../robots.txt
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../.user.ini
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../index.html
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../index.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../remote.php
This appers to be due to a lack of permissions which I do not understand. And this brings me to another permission issue. If I manage to update nextcloud, next step is to assign a storage to it (the zfs pool I mentioned earlier). How do I do it so that I do not have permission issues, but also I do not open myself up to breaches.

I can provide any info required, but be patient please because I have never used proxmox (or nexcloud)!

Thank you

Hello all,

I have just jumped into the world of proxmox and it appears I hit the shallow end because I got stuck...

I have a PC I turned into a server. I installed proxmox on an ssd and I have 3x8TB hdds in a zfs z1 raid I plan to use to nextcloud and another group of 3 I plan to use for media and share the files on the network. Anyway, I started first with the nextcloud install, for which I used an appliance. I can now login on the nextcloud webpage and look around nextcloud. The permission problem appeared when I tried to update nextcloud. I get the following error:

• Check for write permissions
    The following places can not be written to:
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../public.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../console.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../COPYING
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../status.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../occ
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../AUTHORS
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../cron.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../.htaccess
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../robots.txt
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../.user.ini
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../index.html
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../index.php
    • /var/www/nextcloud/updater/../remote.php
This appers to be due to a lack of permissions which I do not understand. And this brings me to another permission issue. If I manage to update nextcloud, next step is to assign a storage to it (the zfs pool I mentioned earlier). How do I do it so that I do not have permission issues, but also I do not open myself up to breaches.

I can provide any info required, but be patient please because I have never used proxmox (or nexcloud)!

Thank you

Nextcloud is probably stored in a container. Which template did you use and how is it configured? Post /etc/pve/lxc/<container-id>.conf

Hello and thank you for your reply!

I have installed nextcloud using a turnkey template. Thank you to @Dark26! That did it! I am sorry for the silly question, I am really new to this. Now I have stumbled onto another problem regarding NFS shares between the proxmox server and the nexcloud container. Should I start a new thread or can I ask it here?

Thank you again for your help!

see in the option tab of the vm to activate nfs support.
I will try this evening because I managed to break something while connecting from work. I kept investigating why I couldn't mount the NFS share from within the container. I kept getting permission denied from host. I looked at the host dmesg and saw that apparmor was blocking the connection.
Tried to follow some advice from the forum but I didn't get anywhere. So I disabled the apparmor service and rebooted the host but now I cannot ssh into it. The host is up, because it answers to the ping but not accepting ssh connections. So I have to get home first.

Where exactly is the option for the nfs in the options tab?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!