How to set up a network storage as a storage for backups

Drax

Jul 21, 2012
I am looking for opinions on using another server simply as storage for running our daily backups to vs trying to attach a USB type drive. Please advise your thoughts. I assume I first have to get it to mount to the server as a drive then simply use it as a regular drive? This is for proxmox5.2. presently I only have one node.

Last edited:
But that is just backing them up on the same drive array on your server correct? Or did you use a different server for backup?

Sorry, missed that. Yes it is on the same server, but your backup will be on the USB drive.

If you want to enable this on another server, maybe just create a share with credentials with Samba. So you mount that usb drive on that other server and then you share that directory with samba over the network.

We backup to a Synology NAS via CIFS and that works very well, something to consider. And the Synology forwards it to the cloud.

Has anyone used an amazon cloud backup with Proxmox? Something running within PX vs manually shutting down a VM copying it to AWS S3. Can You pipe to an external backup?

We use external in-house systems for backups. The external systems are configured to share NFS mount points. The Proxmox systems are configured to use the shared NFS. We configure /etc/exports to limit access to our net range. Then use the Proxmox web interface to assign storage. Thereafter configure the backup schedule. I hope that helps. :)

If you're using ZFS as your file system you can use sanoid/syncoid for backups. ZFS has built in support for snapshots but they can quickly become a pain to manage. sanoid will automatically take snapshots on a schedule then automatically remove snapshots based upon what you configure. I.e. 2 days of hourly, 1 week of daily, 2 months of weekly, etc.

Syncoid will automatically send those snapshots to another system with ZFS based on a schedule. Just like sanoid it will manage those forwarded snapshots and delete old ones.

The great thing about ZFS snapshots is the only extra room they take is based on what files have changed. Backups can be over 1000x faster than rsync. Learn more about ZFS snapshots at youtube "Move over rsync zfs replication with syncoid" by Jin Salter (Luc Nieland's YT account) and read about sandoid/syncoid on Jim Salter's gitub page at jimsalterjrs/sanoid.

something like this work well
mount -t davfs https://provider /media/RemFS
echo "
dir: provider
path /media/RemFS/Backups/Proxmox
content backup,vzdump
" >> /etc/pve/storage.cfg
The media is immediately visible in web gui, free space is visible. I really like it in proxmox

automount:
crontab -e
@reboot mount -t davfs https://provider /media/RemFS

Credentials can be saved here. /etc/davfs2/secrets

Last edited:
something like this work well
mount -t davfs https://provider /media/RemFS
echo "
dir: provider
path /media/RemFS/Backups/Proxmox
content backup,vzdump
" >> /etc/pve/storage.cfg
The media is immediately visible in web gui, free space is visible. I really like it in proxmox

automount:
crontab -e
@reboot mount -t davfs https://provider /media/RemFS

Credentials can be saved here. /etc/davfs2/secrets
I like this, as I am using webdav too.
It seems working, but after doing a backup the proxmox website times out displaying all question marks. I can ssh into the server so it is still alive. I guess it is too busy with uploading the backup file (4Gb).

iftop:
1603613349281.png

I like this, as I am using webdav too.
It seems working, but after doing a backup the proxmox website times out displaying all question marks. I can ssh into the server so it is still alive. I guess it is too busy with uploading the backup file (4Gb).

iftop:
View attachment 20755
Indeed. After about 10 minutes everything works smoothly again.
I think I have to find a way to throttle the upload speed of davfs.

Sorry, missed that. Yes it is on the same server, but your backup will be on the USB drive.

If you want to enable this on another server, maybe just create a share with credentials with Samba. So you mount that usb drive on that other server and then you share that directory with samba over the network.

We backup to a Synology NAS via CIFS and that works very well, something to consider. And the Synology forwards it to the cloud.
Good evening from Savannah, Ga.,

Just curious. Why are you using CIFS instead of NFS? I ask because using Proxmox 6.2-12 and trying to backup to a NAS via NFS, I consistently drop the NFS connection. Seems to be an issue with the NFS/RPC server on my NAS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!