How to set a serial number for a guest VM

Apr 19, 2022
Hello,

I would like to use a guest VM with Microsoft Intune for testing.
But in order to do this I need to import the VM into Intune and the VM must have a serial number.
I have looked on many forums and the only info I could find was a post where it was said to enter "UUID != serial" in Options/SMBios
When I tried that it literally set the serial number to that string.

My VM is running OVMF
And PROXMOX 7.1-11

Could someone please help with some advice on how I could set a serial number for a guest VM ?

Thanks in advance

Hi Leesteken,
Thanks for your reply.
That is the field I have been using.
if I enter a string such as SMC1026 in the serial field then fire up the VM.
when I query WMI ( Windows 10) the serial number field is empty.
however when I entered UUID=SMC1026 in the SMBIOS serial field,
I could see that exact string with a WMI query on the VM.

I'm not familiar with WMI,but when I set the Serial field to SMC1026 and use wmic bios get serialnumer in a Windows 10 VM it show thiss:
SerialNumber SMC1026
It looks like smbios1: serial=U01DMTAyNg==,base64=1 In the VM configuration file.
Am I doing it wrong or did I misunderstand your explanation?

I don’t believe this
I just entered a new value into the SMBIOS serial field,
shutdown, and started the VM when I checked WMI-BIOS-Serial the new value is there
I swear I did that many times a few days ago !!!

Big thanks Leesteken

Reactions: leesteken

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!