How to see a LInux KVM VM boot to desktop?

gcmartin

Sep 14, 2010
Cannot see a console or boot a Linux in a KVM on Proxmox. Screens enclosed

Its suppose to be obvious and the video show how obvious it is for 2003 server.But, in ProxmosVE-V2 something is either missing or I need help to document this>I want to create some steps to post back here on how to boot a DVD/CD for operation in Live media mode on Proxmox. I am attaching all screens to Create the VM, but, Proxmox fails to start the CD/DVD. In summary, after creating the VM (see screens enclosed) I go to console and select start. The light momentarily blinks on internal DVD, but no boot progress is shown. The Proxmox webpage shows "running"??? But, there is no expected text on boot progress nor is there any X desktop that should result when booting is complete.I know this is suppose to be so easy, but, I could use some help.(If the Proxmox team wants data from the system, please ask as i will quickly respond.)ThanksVM Creation progress ImagesTried to Shutdown a VM that Summary shows as Running.pngTry 2nd KVM setup2.pngTry 2nd KVM setup3.pngTry 2nd KVM setup4.png

I believe there is something missing in Promox definitions that is not obvious for Linux VM. Help is needed.
Try 2nd KVM setup5.png

Last edited:
Try 2nd KVM setup5.pngTry 2nd KVM setup7.pngTry 2nd KVM setup6.png

Also, the ISO that is on the DVD/CD which I am trying to boot can be found here. Its a small ISO.

Help with guidance. Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!