How to run redundant read only copy of Proxmox Backup Server

adoII

Renowned Member
Jan 28, 2010
I have a Proxmox Backup Server in Data Center and would like to have a copy in another location.
Proxmox Sync is no option, there is not enough online Bandwidth

Tape also is no option, we will not invest again in tape technology

I am taking a differential zfs snapshot on harddisk from datacenter to copy location once a week and the content of the zfs filesystem in the backup location is identical to the one in the datacenter.

Now i would like to view the backup content and read the backup content on the second location.
But when i define the zfs copy as a datastore the second pbs will start managing the backup data and run prune and gc and verify and whatever on the zfs backup of the datastore.

What would be the best way to work with a second read only zfs copy of the primary datastore with proxmox backup server ? Anyone already done something like this ?

You do not have to configure a prune/GC schedule at all. With that and a user that only has read access to the snapshots, you should be ok?
Which scenario would you like to protect them against?

Reactions: Dunuin
also if you have a dataset for the datastore you can just use receive -F to undo any changes the offsite end might have done since the last send/recv.

Reactions: Dunuin

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!