How to resize shared FC LUN

Spiros Pap

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,

I have a proxmox cluster with a shared FC LUN (managed by LVM). The LUN is full and I would like to resize it. I have resized it on the storage but how do i do it in proxmox?

Keep in mind that I'm running multipathd for redudancy and that I have a partition in the LUN. My lsblk looks like is:
sdr 65:16 0 5.9T 0 disk
├─sdr1 65:17 0 2T 0 part
└─mpath0 253:0 0 5.9T 0 mpath
└─mpath0-part1 253:1 0 2T 0 part
├─volgrp1--3par-test 253:4 0 20G 0 lvm
├─volgrp1--3par-vm--103--disk--1 253:5 0 32G 0 lvm
├─volgrp1--3par-vm--100--disk--1 253:6 0 32G 0 lvm

volgrp1--3par is the VG I want to extend.

Thanx,
Sp

Last edited:
Hi,
you must use pvresize to tell lvm an resized physical volumme.
If you have an partition-table on this disk, you have to expand the partition first (but then normaly an reboot is required, because the kernel hold the old (active) partition info in ram) or - create an second partition and add thi to the volume group.

Look with
Code:
pvs
vgs
Udo

You normally need to:
- rescan all disks involved in a multipathed device
- rescan the multipath itself, so that your mpath devices shows the new size in multipath -ll
- then continue as @udo said with pveresize

I was looking for how to do the rescan myself and this is how I've done it. I hope this helps someone.

Rescan should be done on ALL nodes:
pvs -o +tags
multipath -ll LUN_name
echo 1 >/sys/block/sdX/device/rescan
echo 1 >/sys/block/sdY/device/rescan
echo 1 >/sys/block/sdZ/device/rescan
echo 1 >/sys/block/sdQ/device/rescan
multipath -r
multipath -ll LUN_name

Then from any node you can resize the PV:
pvresize /dev/mapper/LUN_name

Reactions: slawomir

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!