How to reset Proxmox permission settings?

FormBurden

Jan 6, 2022
So I ended up doing a mistake when I was changing the permissions of some drives I have from when I didn't use Proxmox (just a regular Deb server). I ended up
Code:
chown -R root /
by accident. Yeah big mistake. But not really. Instead of the folder I thought it was going to do, it ended up doing the permission change on the root system itself of Proxmox. Luckily with lots of security measures it would seem, there was a TON of "Operation not permitted". So right when I knew what was going on, and cancelling it, it still did a lot of files.

I fixed most issues based off of all the logs, and seeing if their was a permission issue, as well as the "systemctl --failed" to see there. But one, I seemed to cant fix is the Postfix, specifically " postfix@-.service ". I tried reinstalling the package with "Apt" but got a bunch of Permission denied operations when 'apt' was doing its thing to change permissions back to default.

Anyway, is there some kind of command, or maybe a script that can get most Proxmox permissions back to default so everything works correctly? Or maybe a setting reset without reinstalling?

I'm not totally screwed since I stopped it in time, so no need to reinstall. Anything I can do?

mhmm.. the only way i'd consider without reinstalling would be to take a fresh install and compare owner/group of each file/directory. i guess one could script that or do manually, but imho most often it's not worth the effort
I'm not totally screwed since I stopped it in time, so no need to reinstall. Anything I can do?
well you do not really know which files it already touched, so even if everything "works" there can be some wrong permissions that lead to unexpected behaviour or insecure configuration...

mhmm.. the only way i'd consider without reinstalling would be to take a fresh install and compare owner/group of each file/directory. i guess one could script that or do manually, but imho most often it's not worth the effort

well you do not really know which files it already touched, so even if everything "works" there can be some wrong permissions that lead to unexpected behaviour or insecure configuration...
Yeah that's true. I did find somewhere where I could vm whatever I want to reset permissions to (whether it's live boot or not) and do a copy/paste script to get your permissions back to defaults without reinstalling. Probably might have to do that.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!