How to provide redundancy with an external drive and ZFS?

kamzata

Renowned Member
Jan 21, 2011
Italy
I'm using Proxmox on a Intel Nuc using ZFS. It has a single disk (a fast NVME) and an external disk attached (a slow HDD which I could replace with a fastest NVME). I'm using Proxmox Backup Server virtualized on a VM which backups some local and remote VMs and CTs. Other than that, on the same Intel Nuc I'm running a VM with a big NFS share which I'm not interested to backing up but I'd like to preserve in case of disk failure. I'd like also preserve all other VMs and CTs from disk failure.

Could I use a Raid1 configuration? A single zpool with the internal and the external disk? Is that suggested? What if I accidentally unplug and plug in the external drive?

Or should I leverage the ZFS features in order to "sync" or "clone" (which is not possible on external ZFS pool as far as I know)? How?

What's the safest solution?

Last edited:
important is that your backups are on a separate disk. Raid is for high availability.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!