how to mount /dev/pve/data so its usable from Debian

falves1

Jan 11, 2009
I installed the latest version, 6.1, and Proxmox used all my space. I need to access /dev/pve/data, how can I do that? I formatted it to xfs, and I can mount it manually, but if I dare put a line in fstab, the server does not boot, it says there is an error and disk maintenance is in order.
specifically, I do this in fstab. I guess I have to stop proxmox from mounting it since I already mounted it.
/dev/pve/data /lxc xfs noatime,relatime,defaults 0 1

Please post the output of pveversion -v and your storage config cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg

I don't have that command. I think proxmox is not installed. The web interface is not working
in my file /apt/sources.list I added
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve buster pve-no-subscription
I need to make sure this works for me before paying for the subscription.
I removed a file located in /etc/apt/sources.list.d which was named pve*. Kindly let me know how I get my installation working again without reinstalling the box, and how I can use my data partition from Debian. I use the box for other tasks. This is not a cluster, just an independent server with many functions. It blew my mind when I installed Proxmox 6.1 and the space was not visible from df -H. I have two boxes with the same issue.

If you've installed PVE 6.1 you should have those commands available.
What are the exact errors you get when running those 2 commands?

The PVE iso? If so, that's very strange.
Please post the output of cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

whatever was there was deleted by debian when when I did an full upgrade.
cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
cat: '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/*': No such file or directory

the question is how I get my installation back up, and how I make sure that my /dev/pve/data is visible from Debian, to be used to other purposes. In fact, if you install a fresh machine with 6.1, the data device is not mounted on Debian, and we need the space for general server purposes. You cannot assume that any server will be used only for Proxmox virtualization, in fact I use Proxmoxz without a cluster, only for hard-virtualization. For containers I use plain LXC containers, since your version of containerization has a big issue, the disk is not mounted on Debian. It gives more flexibility when all rootfs for containers are visible on the main Debian session. I could not figure out how to do this with your device-based containers. Is there a way?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!