how to migrate vms to another pve cluster

julyat

Feb 25, 2022
i need to move several vms from one pve cluster to another , is there any tricks i can use instead of backup and restore?

Configure a share storage which is available for the 2 two cluster with same name.

you can do a live migration of the disk to this storage.

you shudown the vm.

copy the config file via ssh to the other cluster, maybe modify it if needed

start the vm on the new cluster .

you can do a live migration to the storage you want.

the down time is low , just the time shutdown and reboot

Reactions: Kosh
is this the correct roadmap link ?

it talk about V6
That's the version of the patch set and yes, it's currently the latest one.
do you think we can hope cross clustering feature anywhere between Q1 and Q2 2023 ?
The patch set is likely close to its final state, but I can not give any concrete ETA. It will land when it's ready and working ;)

Reactions: ElvisCZ
Hi,
And then it was March of 2024...
it already landed a long time ago. But it is a CLI-only feature for the time being, qm remote-migrate and pct remote-migrate.

Indeed. And also to note it is still marked as experimental as well as not being completely documented as yet.

Patiently waiting for further improvements.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!