[SOLVED] How to make USB writable ?

kblknight

Jun 3, 2020
Hi Everbody,

im configured an external USB as my backup source and i have the following error:

ERROR: Backup of VM 100 failed - unable to create temporary directory '/mnt/usb/dump/vzdump-qemu-100-2022_01_11-09_41_07.tmp' at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/VZDump.pm line 837.

i tried to change the '/mnt/usb/dump/' permission using ( chmod77 /mnt/usb/dump/ ) but i get the following error.
chmod: changing permissions of '/mnt/usb/dump/' : Read-only file system.

i would be happy to hear from you guys.

Thanks.

How do you mount the USB disk? What file system is it formatted with?

You can check with the mount command to see if it is mounted writable (rw) or not.

How do you mount the USB disk? What file system is it formatted with?

You can check with the mount command to see if it is mounted writable (rw) or not.
Thanks for your Reply AAron.

mkdir /mnt/usb
mount /dev/sdb /mnt/USB

and the external HDD is with exfat formatet.

regards

What is the output of the mount command?

To limit it to just the disk we are interested in, you can run
Code:
mount | grep "/mnt/usb"

What is the output of the mount command?

To limit it to just the disk we are interested in, you can run
Code:
mount | grep "/mnt/usb"
/dev/sdb on /mnt/usb type exfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,iocharset=utf8,errors=remount-ro)

Is it possible that at some point there was some hiccup or error and the disk got remounted as read only? I would try to manually unmount and mounting it again and checking right after that if the chmod works.

Is it possible that at some point there was some hiccup or error and the disk got remounted as read only? I would try to manually unmount and mounting it again and checking right after that if the chmod works.
hey Aaron,

thanks for replying.

yesterday what i did was just mount -a and it started working, it was strange but it works ;)

Reactions: aaron

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!