How to maintain high processing clock frequency for Ceph?

Sep 14, 2020
Proxmox brings a proposal for a hyperconverged server, which offers, together with Ceph, the possibility of having virtualized storage and processing running on the same hardware.

But to get good performance results from Ceph storage, you must increase bandwidth and reduce disk and network latency.

The reduction of latency, from what I read, also involves processing capacity and especially the initiative to keep the processor response very fast, thus keeping the processor clock always alert.

I'm wrong?

If I need to keep the clock always alert, knowing that my Intel processors are equipped with Turbo Boost technology for energy saving purposes, how can I keep the processor clock always at the maximum frequency? Is there any special technique for this in Proxmox? Can't this compromise the VMs' processing time when they need some processing? Can I do this on old hardware?

The first step would be to disable power saving features in the BIOS. If you want to go further, you could play around with CPU frequency scaling and governors. The Archlinux wiki has some good articles about that.

But honestly, I would just see how it works out before thinking too much about performance optimizations.

And yes, Ceph services will need some resources for themselves. Check out the preconditions in our docs and the Ceph docs. More CPU cores / threads is definitely a plus in that situation. But it all comes down to what you need / expect. On older hardware I guess you want to test and play around with Ceph? If you have a decent amount of CPU cores, then I would think more about network speeds and the performance of the disks as those will most likely have a larger impact on performance.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!