How to Install Kodi

RobertusIT

Jul 13, 2021
Hi,

I have a Intel Nuc Kit nuc8i3beh and have Iris Plus Graphics 655.

I use it with a VM with Home Assistant.

I wish to use Kodi in a VM with Iris Plus Graphics 655.

How can i do that? I read some threads but I wish to follow a tutorial that works.

Please can you help me ?

My version of Promox is 6.4-13

Hi,

what exactly is your problem here? Which error do you get? You just need to install kodi as a virtual machine. If that's a homelab then you just need an IP on vmbr0 and thats it. You install it like with any other linux distribution and use it after installation with the ip you preferably gave it (or get the dhcp ip you got and use it).

Hi,

what exactly is your problem here? Which error do you get? You just need to install kodi as a virtual machine. If that's a homelab then you just need an IP on vmbr0 and thats it. You install it like with any other linux distribution and use it after installation with the ip you preferably gave it (or get the dhcp ip you got and use it).
Hi,

in first, thanks to reply.

I have downloaded from https://libreelec.tv/virtual/ .ova files,but proxmox doesn't support it.

So I get this https://libreelec.tv/downloads_new/generic-pc/ but doesn't boot.

This is my boot order
1626192458025.png
And this is my boot console
1626192555113.png

An ova is only a tar archive with some information and the harddisk vmdk. You can create a VM, untar the ova and import the image via qm importdisk. Just read the manpage on how to do so.

The download you linked is an img. Just unzip it and dd it to the harddisk image. Then you might to resize the disk to the whole size.
You also can just download any distribution you want and download the linux binary.

But all this is not proxmox specific. I think more of how-to-use-linux?

An ova is only a tar archive with some information and the harddisk vmdk. You can create a VM, untar the ova and import the image via qm importdisk. Just read the manpage on how to do so.

The download you linked is an img. Just unzip it and dd it to the harddisk image. Then you might to resize the disk to the whole size.
You also can just download any distribution you want and download the linux binary.

But all this is not proxmox specific. I think more of how-to-use-linux?

1. I get libreelec.ova from here
2. Put here in usb plugged into NUC mounted in /mnt/USB_BACKUP
3. Convert vmdk to qcow2 with this command qemu-img convert -f vmdk LibreELEC-Generic.x86_64-9.2.6.vmdk -O qcow2 /mnt/USB_BACKUP/libreelec.qcow2
4. Then i create a VM 102 and qm importdisk 101 libreelec.qcow2 local-lvm --format qcow2
5. Now i delete drive and i setup che local drive that have this image
1626213938866.png
6. Boot sequences
1626213964922.png
7. No way to boot
1626213986134.png

I know this is months old, if any other end in here like I, because of the same problem....I ran into the exact same issue.

To make it work, I switch the installation media and the destination to SATA, and switch from UEFI to SeaBIOS, the switch the eth to intel E1000 that fix the whole units inaccessibility...

I went for that, because the complain is about not being able to access the unit, somewhere on screen while starting up I look at a bold message that specifically pointed to VirtIO SCSI, so I change to SATA at the installation media, it booted, but then, it couldn't find the destination media (also SCSI), I switched that too, then after reboot, it show up in the installation screen as available destination and it completed successfully, but...the destination didn't boot, it got stuck on the EFI prompt, so I switch to SeaBIOS, restart, and all worked well, but still had to switch the eth. to E1000 as the VirtIO didn't load to get an IP from the DHCP...

987987987987.jpg

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!