How to import VDMK images into Proxmox

Redtoast

Apr 16, 2020
I have moved my proxmox, but before I did it I cloned my VM's in VMDK format to USB and now I would like to import them. However, I can't seem to figure it out. I assumed I would again mount the USB drive and then import them, but to be honest I don't know how and need some help. No make things more complicated I am running proxmox in Virtualbox now.

Last edited:
Hi,
please see the documentation about this, especially this section. You can ignore the vmdebootstrap part, because you already have the image.

Hi,
please see the documentation about this, especially this section. You can ignore the vmdebootstrap part, because you already have the image.
Thanks for the quick response. I don't really understand the import process, how do I import the .vmdk that are located outside of proxmox? Do I need to import them into local lvm first? If so, how.

Thanks for the quick response. I don't really understand the import process, how do I import the .vmdk that are located outside of proxmox?
You need to place the vmdk/ovf files somewhere where they are accessible to PVE QM tool which is the last step in this section:
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-qm.html#_step_by_step_example_of_a_windows_ovf_import

You have a wide variety of choices of presenting files to QM : scp/nfs/cifs/usb/etc

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Last edited:
Do I need to convert it? When I cloned the VM i selected VMDK format. Not sure if that matters?
Depends on the target storage. If it's a file-based storage, you can pass the format along with qm importdisk ... --format <vmdk|qcow2|raw>, so you can keep the format if you want, but other storages only support raw (for those, advanced features are usually available at the storage layer directly rather than via the format).

Depends on the target storage. If it's a file-based storage, you can pass the format along with qm importdisk ... --format <vmdk|qcow2|raw>, so you can keep the format if you want, but other storages only support raw (for those, advanced features are usually available at the storage layer directly rather than via the format).
Thanks for the response Fiona. The previous VM which I cloned had an EFI volume. The problem I have now is that it boots to UEFI shell with only BLK0.

Hi, it wont let me select the drive, it just flashes and stays there. This is all I am seeing.

1664257029032.png

Please share the VM configuration (qm config <ID>). If you press escape during the splash screen with the Proxmox logo, you should be able to enter the OVMF boot menu.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!