how to import existing vm images into new Proxmox installation

May 16, 2017
Hi,

i did a new installation of proxmox 5 onto new hardware and I moved an existing zfs pool into the new machine. I successfully imported the pool via zpool import.
Then I added the pool to the storage of my ProxMox cluster. Now I can see the existing vm-101-disk-1 as raw disk image in the content list of my storage.

But how can I import/convert this into a running vm again?

I assume VM 101 already exists (if not, create it). The run:

# qm rescan

The GUI will then display vm-101-disk-1 as unused disk (at the VM disk panel).

I assume VM 101 already exists (if not, create it). The run:

# qm rescan

The GUI will then display vm-101-disk-1 as unused disk (at the VM disk panel).

I have done something similar using
qm importdisk <vmid> <source> <storage> which says it successfully imported a vmdk external disk image (extracted from .ova) as an unused disk in a VM. The unused disk now appears under the VM but how do I get it to boot from this?

I have done something similar using
qm importdisk <vmid> <source> <storage> which says it successfully imported a vmdk external disk image (extracted from .ova) as an unused disk in a VM. The unused disk now appears under the VM but how do I get it to boot from this?
select it, edit it (AFAIR button near the "add" button you use if you want to add a new disk) and assign controller type (i.e. virtioscsi) and so on. In VM Options check boot priority.

select it, edit it (AFAIR button near the "add" button you use if you want to add a new disk) and assign controller type (i.e. virtioscsi) and so on. In VM Options check boot priority.

Yes didn't realise I just had to start the VM and hit escape when Proxmox displayed and then select the drive from available boot options. Thanks

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!