How to edit /etc/network/interfaces (with Ansible) correctly

Hello Proxmox community,

I'm currently trying to manage network interfaces in Proxmox VE using Ansible, and I'm running into a problem where the changes I make don't persist as I would expect. I have read the official Proxmox documentation and am aware that Proxmox VE does not write changes directly to /etc/network/interfaces, but rather uses a temporary file /etc/network/interfaces.new, which allows for bulk changes and the ability to ensure correctness before applying.

However, the same documentation suggests that if manual changes are made directly to the /etc/network/interfaces file, those changes can be applied by running ifreload -a. I have tried this method, but after making direct changes to the file, it seems that Proxmox VE still wants to overwrite it with the contents of /etc/network/interfaces.new, even after using ifreload -a.

I would like to clarify the correct procedure for modifying network interfaces with Ansible in this context. Should I edit /etc/network/interfaces directly, or should I instead modify /etc/network/interfaces.new and then somehow force a reload?

Applying changes to
/etc/network/interfaces directly is one of the recommended way of doing changes, make sure you run ifreload -a afterwards.

Last edited:
Note that we only write changes to /etc/network/interfaces.new when changes are made via the REST API or the web ui, those were probably a leftover from somewhere else.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!