How to disable (Hyper-V) Hypervisor Present in Nested W10 / W2019?

Dahd00b

Apr 15, 2023
Hi all

I need to install VMWare Workstation 12 Pro on an instance of a Windows 10 or a Windows Server 2019 which are installed on a ProxMox instance.

For the virtual version of Windows installation I have allowed the host type for the CPU, which will allow for the Host's CPU's Virtualization capabilities to be available in the Windows 10 / 2019 installations for nested virtualization, using VMWare in this case. I can confirm that the W10 / 2019 VM can see the Intel's VMX, EPT, and URG by running the CoreInfo64.exe -v command at an elevated command prompt.

The problem is that when I do install VMWare 12 Pro and want to run the VM inside the W10 installation I receive an error mentioning VMWare Workstation and Hyper-V are not compatible, remove the Hyper-v role from the system before running VMWare Workstation.
I have checked and can confirm that neither installation of Windows have the Hyper-V role installed, regardless VMWare Workstation still nags about it's presence.

Interestingly the output of the CoreInfo64.exe -v command at an elevated command prompt mentioned earlier also has a line which states that Hypervisor is present.

I have searched the internet far and wide looking for an answer but while this issue seems to have been happened to some people online with a bunch of fixes proposed, none of the mentioned issues seems to be able to help me with fixing the issue and doing what I want out of this setup.

I was wondering if anyone else have had such and issue or can help me realize what the issue may be.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

This is a Problem from Windows and not from Proxmox. So choose a windows forum for your question!

This is a Problem from Windows and not from Proxmox. So choose a windows forum for your question!

Hi, thank you for your reply,

I thought of that and that is why I installed both the copy of W10 and the 2019 on the same hardware ProxMox is installed and when I do that there is no issue with either installation. VMWare workstation 12 Pro installs just fine and runs my VM with no issues.

Whatever it is, it seems to be present in ProxMox, but not on bare metal installation of the said OS, hence why I am here posting.

Edit: typo

Last edited:
They search keywords you are likely looking for are : "proxmox hide hypervisor windows"
I suspect you are in the same category as many gamers trying to avoid anti-cheating mechanisms. Whether you can succeed in this - I dont know.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

Thank you, I will research that keyword and see what I can find on that. And no I am not trying to avoid anti cheating mechanism of any game. I have a VM of a much older Windows 2000 domain controller and few other supporting servers that only work on VMWare workstation pro 12 that I need to run but this thing has been stomping me for the past three days now.

I am not judging you, just said you are "in the same category" - you need to hide hypervisor presence from an App. What that app is - doesnt matter.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox
Sorry, I didn't get what you meant to say.

and yes it seems to be the case here. so far all that I read on the subject doesn't seem promising. I have no problem installing W2K19 or W10 on this machine to get to what I want to get done, but that would be such an e-waste to dedicate such a massively powerful computer to such a small task leaving a lot of its hardware resources unused.

If I can get this going I can use ProxMox to efficiently use the rest of the system resources for other purposes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!