How to disable fencing (temporarily)

Spiros Pap

Aug 1, 2017
Hi all,

When I do upgrades to proxmox or other actions that jeopardise the clusters health (network stuff), I feel the need to disable the cluster/watchdog/fencing components of promox, in order to do the actions without the danger of a node rebooting because it was fenced.

So, what is the right procedure to stop the proccesses that are able to fence a node and bring up VMs on other nodes? I still need to do be able to do migrations and other tasks, but I don't want a node to get fenced or other nodes to bring up VMs because they think that a node died.

Thank you,
Sp

you can stop the LRM service on all nodes, then the CRM service on all nodes (order is important, all LRM daemons on all nodes must be stopped before the first CRM daemon is stopped!). at this point HA including fencing is basically disabled, so you won't be able to migrate HA-managed resources, but everything else should work. once you are done, first start the LRM service on all nodes, followed by the CRM service. the order is important!

depending on the kind of actions you want to do, you might also want to temporarily disable both services so that they don't get started again upon rebooting or package upgrades - but in that case it's of course important that you not only start, but also enable them again once you are done.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!