How to determine the parent container of a linked clone?

Thom Luxford

Mar 14, 2018
Using Proxmox 5.2-5
I've read the Proxmox documentation about Full and Linked clones, however two questions remain to be answered.

Unless I've missed it in the the PVE GUI, there is no indication that a vm was created as a linked clone, and thus dependent on the parent template.

1. How do you definitively determine that a particular KVM or LXC vm is a full or linked clone?
2. How do you definitively determine the parent disk of a KVM or LXC vm?

It is not noted in the Resources or Summary panels of the VM in PVE and all of the config files(e.g. /etc/pve/lxc) have the keyword "parent" in them.

1. How do you definitively determine that a particular KVM or LXC vm is a full or linked clone?
2. How do you definitively determine the parent disk of a KVM or LXC vm?
The full clone is a standalone VM/CT and has not connection to the base image. A VM/CT as a linked clone have a base volume of the template, you can find it in the config.

I'm confused because the config files are the same with a linked a full clone. I took a CT and did a linked-clone and then full-clone:
jIW-5a7dJmaqVlltn7VHvFxTg6BCkMF_5CwYdIs98kgmDRPJZD4u8rMFmfh-O3DgmMBxJiZEozvxTaHoVjIcpvFfzn0me9yytDlDTXSde-iZYyJziLm5hnadMAkM-pDmbO6EBVa_

d1MokfeCg8JVQl35TiWfjQB9zIjcyRZQQXRMolOEN8-ueSIXWstA5YU27ffgRNGg-7iN3mkZdjNUHHqi0n3beMNpwsUye0ic2s2TSNU3kX21Xsvoh0UOtqri-wLa2_coMqFNElzC

q-PerydLwhLE-h7dxb94x7UXcBV7PmD38rOwKg0P1xK1RC9whpwIAgqcJKKjCKYiSgHi2YL8f06PF372mRECsF7BnjeyjVEBQ4Dly5SmPzxl59Wbb63SxNv1wyyjm2Rtyw4t1Oyz

The linked clone above does not reference a base volume and seems to have the same elements as the full clone below.
YhoFWyO6aj7CTbKGSoNct1eVCuxjXrUdacWYEnmfbGv9jfQH1KtqjoyKqIK80LwwL29wYkNTNRKiQXJlRHQKHkNzh7cwfIJwr7FyANWds7j5V_AXSMcqirCml0L1ZsdxyifcZGuz

Is there perhaps different config file you are referring to?

You are using LVM, there every clone is independent, LVM allows to delete the parent as the clone has the metadata. The parent references to which base image it belongs to.

It is neither. The clone is still linked or full, but standalone in either case. As you can delete the parent without loosing the data on the linked clone, no differentiation is needed.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!