How to copy TB of files without the console timing out?

1liminal1

Aug 5, 2022
So im trying to copy my media from my NAS to ZFS storage. But cant seem to do that from the GUI. They are both mounted in Proxmox, but the console window times out.

How are you meant to copy big files?

Thanks

Good idea not to do it in a GUI. You can use e.g. the tool screen (screen - screen manager with VT100/ANSI terminal emulation). It's part of the debian repository, and you get it with apt-get install screen. https://wiki.debian.org/screen An usefull tool if you have 'interactive' jobs in the console which take long time or if you want to switch between different terminal windows.

Reactions: _gabriel
Hi,

Also my suggestion is to use rsync, if you do not waste your time, because during the copy process you could faced problems like power loss, and so on. In a such situation you will not need to start again from the beginning!

Good luck / Bafta !

yeah, something like screen or tmux in combination with rsync is a good approach here. you also might want to connect via SSH instead of the novnc console in the web GUI.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!