how to convert to legacy grub

zephyr97

Apr 16, 2021
can you tell me the steps to drop uefi and use grub?

my dual boot process can not handle efi since it cant find a bootable partition that is happy with. and direct access to the proxmox lvm does not work at all.

so what are the steps that i need to follow to put grub on either a lvm or non-lvm version of proxmox. ive tried to follow some of the googled methods for conversion and found disapointment.

can you tell me the steps to drop uefi and use grub?
These represent two different levels of the boot sequence and are not swap-able.

my dual boot process can not handle efi since it cant find a bootable partition that is happy with
I believe what you might want is to enable legacy bios boot. This should be carried out in your computer's bios and has nothing to do with the Proxmox installation. You can search online for how to enable this for your specific hardware.

so what are the steps that i need to follow to put grub on either a lvm or non-lvm version of proxmo
The Proxmox installer will use systemd-boot for EFI Systems installed with ZFS as the root filesystem and use grub otherwise [1]. It will also use grub for a system which uses legacy boot.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysboot

tks for the words.
i gave trying to find a way using the proxmox install iso. just could not get access to a boot record on a partition. ie installing grub on /dev/sda1 kinda thing. and lvm played havoc with my skull on getting the root exposed and bootable.

so i installed a normal debian 10.9 with a clean grub on /dev/sda1. plopped proxmox on top of that and then did my dual boot thing. and it worked.

for dual boot i used bootit from terabyte unlimited.

i would rather have done something directly with your iso but just couldnt.

It's unfortunate that you couldn't get proxmox to install directly, but your situation does remind me of a similar forum post from some weeks back, in which a user could not get Proxmox to boot, but could boot Debian. In the end, the problem was fixed by updating the BIOS. I'll share the post below [1] and you can see if it seems similar to your issue.

[1] https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/solved-impossible-installation-no-operating-system-found.87184/
its not a cmos/bios issue. (im able to boot into proxmox the normal way just fine). rather, i cant get access to a partition that has a boot record in it. kinda like needing to load grub into /dev/sda1 vs /dev/sda.

having lvm add to root partition into the mix was just too much for my skull. and i gave up.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!