How to configure bonding active-backup without miimon

budy

Jan 31, 2020
Hi,

I need to configure a network bond with arp_interval and arp_ip_target instead of the usual miimon on my 6.4.x PVE. I have created this config in /etc/network/interfaces:

Code:
auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
        bond-slaves enp5s0f0 enp5s01f
        bond-mode active-backup
        arp_interval 1000
        arp_ip_target 10.11.14.1

However, restarting the network using systemctl restart networking, doesn't seem to apply this config. I can get this to work by running these two commands, though:

Code:
echo 1000 > /sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/arp_interval
echo +10.11.14.1 > /sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/arp_ip_targe

I know, that these options are not specifically mentioned in the admin manual, but I assumed, that they would work nonetheless.

Hi,
However, restarting the network using systemctl restart networking, doesn't seem to apply this config.
If you have ifupdown2 [1] installed (optional since PVE 6.1, default since PVE 7), you can reload your network interfaces with ifreload -a. Otherwise, ifdown bond1; ifup bond1 should do it.

[1] https://packages.debian.org/buster/ifupdown2

Last edited:
Hi, thanks - I haven't installed ifupdown2 as of yet, but I have done that now. However, this issue remains even with ifupdown2 installed. What really bugged me is the fact, that even a reboot won't configure this setting at all….

After I issued a ifdown bond1/ifup bond1 the required config is not applied, as you can see here:

Code:
root@hydra:~# cat /sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/arp_ip_target
root@hydra:~# cat /sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/arp_interval

I'm not too familiar with the arp_interval/arp_ip_target configuration, but if setting it manually works, you could add pre-up configurations for the bond. This would add the configuration just before bond1 is about to be brought up by ifupdown2.

Code:
auto bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
        bond-slaves enp5s0f0 enp5s01f
        bond-mode active-backup
        pre-up echo 1000 > /sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/arp_interval
        pre-up echo +10.11.14.1 > /sys/class/net/bond1/bonding/arp_ip_target

Reactions: budy
Yay, thanks - that did exactly the job! I really appreciate your input on this one.

Reactions: dylanw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!