How to change timing of backups

Ashkaan4

Feb 16, 2019
I have an Ubuntu 22 VM running on TrueNAS. I set up this VM to backup to Proxmox Backup Server. I have no recollection of setting a time. The backup runs every night at 9p. I want to push this to like 2a.

Any ideas how I might have programmed the timing originally??

My crontab looks like this (empty):
Code:
# /etc/crontab: system-wide crontab
# Unlike any other crontab you don't have to run the `crontab'
# command to install the new version when you edit this file
# and files in /etc/cron.d. These files also have username fields,
# that none of the other crontabs do.

SHELL=/bin/sh
# You can also override PATH, but by default, newer versions inherit it from the environment
#PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin

# Example of job definition:
# .---------------- minute (0 - 59)
# |  .------------- hour (0 - 23)
# |  |  .---------- day of month (1 - 31)
# |  |  |  .------- month (1 - 12) OR jan,feb,mar,apr ...
# |  |  |  |  .---- day of week (0 - 6) (Sunday=0 or 7) OR sun,mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat
# |  |  |  |  |
# *  *  *  *  * user-name command to be executed
17 *    * * *    root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
25 6    * * *    root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
47 6    * * 7    root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly )
52 6    1 * *    root    test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly )
#

I found this file located at "/root/backup.sh" (obfuscated):
Code:
# Variables
export PBS_PASSWORD=<secret>
export PBS_REPOSITORY=<user>@pbs@<ip>:<datastore>

# Command
proxmox-backup-client backup root.pxar:/

# Cleanup
export PBS_PASSWORD=
export PBS_REPOSITORY=

Any ideas how I might have programmed the timing originally??
Sometimes the GUI is overwhelming...

First look at Datacenter --> Backup. That is the usual/official place to configure backups.

Then - if you have scripted something yourself - look at the crontabs. There is /etc/cron.d/* for "classic systemwide settings. And then there are "personal" tabs, also for root: try root@xxx:~# crontab -e

Additionally there are "timers" nowadays. Run root@xxxx:~# systemctl list-timers to get an overview.

Have fun :)

Reactions: Ashkaan4

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!