How to change the drive bus?

g0drealm

Apr 9, 2014
Hey guys,

i just started to engage myself with Proxmox and I hope you might help me with my problem.

I created a VM running Zentyal as a fileserver but i chose IDE as drive bus. I later recognized that i better chose virtio0 in view of performance.

How do I preferably change the drive bus to virtio? Can I convert the VM to a template and migrate it with other hardware specs?

Thx for your help :)

Greetz

g0drealm

1) choose hardware tab for the VM
2) Click on disk
3) Click remove and as a result you should see an unused disk
4) Now double-click the unused disk and a GUI should pop-up where you can choose driver

...just detached an IDE VM-HDD from Win 8.1 client and connected through SCSI. No system boot. I reverted this setting and... no system boot :O
Is there a possibility to get that VM once more running?

When I migrated my Windows-VMs over to PVE (from ESXi) once I have been in that state I needed to do the migration again.
I never got it working once I have been in that state.

This is how I got it working: Before you switch to SCSI (disk) you need to boot up in IDE. Then attach a virtio SCSI device. Install the drivers (virtio) and after that it was safe to switch the boot device to scsi and bring the (temporary) disk out of service

Reactions: VMnoob
After changing the bus type by removing and re-adding the virtual disk, the boot option will have "lost" the drive. Navigate to "options" for the VM and set the disk as the first boot device.

You may need to attach as an IDE or SATA device first, set the boot option, and install virtio drivers for the controller in the guest OS as tburger suggested, (then install qemu-guest-agent while you're there), then shut down the VM, switch the disk to Virtio and reconfigure the boot order again.

Last edited:
Reactions: VMnoob
After changing the bus type by removing and re-adding the virtual disk, the boot option will have "lost" the drive. Navigate to "options" for the VM and set the disk as the first boot device.

You may need to attach as an IDE or SATA device first, set the boot option, and install virtio drivers for the controller in the guest OS as tburger suggested, (then install qemu-guest-agent while you're there), then shut down the VM, switch the disk to Virtio and reconfigure the boot order again.
Hi AllanM,

That did the job! That ide was deleted from boot sequence, after adding it and moving to 1st place VM is alive. Next step is to get qemu agent on all VM - thanks for your and tburger advise.

Best regards,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!