[SOLVED] How to boot uploaded iso from virtual CD ROM

Klaus_K

Sep 6, 2022
Hi, I'm totally new to Proxmox so please accept my apologies if this is a a dumb question. I have successfully installed Proxmox 7.1-7 and managed to upload an ISO image to the server. As a next step, I would like to boot off this ISO in order to install Fedora. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any way of either exposing the BIOS at boot-up (which would allow me to change the boot order), or modify the boot order in any other way. I understand that Proxmox tends to favour command line operations and I have managed to SSH into the server, but I don't know how to get beyond this point. I see that BOOT FROM ISO is a known tag on the forum, so I'm guessing that this is a regular topic. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find anything by searching this forum - probably my bad :-(

Last edited:
I have done that (see screeenshot below) but it doesn't seem to be booting from the ISO. Instead, it goes straight to the noVNC splash screen, with an error message "Failed to connect to server" (second screen shot). The BIOS is set to "Default (SeaBIOS)". Hope this helps - and thanks for the quick response :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.41.15.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.41.15.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.38.29.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-07 at 13.38.29.png
    88.6 KB · Views: 37
It's a Fedora Live iso, which I have used before in several other contexts. Freshly downloaded from the Fedora website. I guess it's possible that the image is damaged (e.g. truncated). Just checked the checksum (sic) and it matches the required value.

Last edited:
It's possible. Best practice is to check the checksum after downloading, which is usually provided next to the iso. Maybe do this first or give it another shot with a download.

It's possible. Best practice is to check the checksum after downloading, which is usually provided next to the iso. Maybe do this first or give it another shot with a download.
As noted above, I have verified the checksum.

I'm out of ideas then. You can check if the cdrom is the first device in the boot order, but if it is, that's how it always works.

Sigh... after more googling, I found this.

So, I decided to try again, using Chrome (Version 104.0.5112.101 (Official Build) (x86_64) - and up popped the Fedora startup screen - whoop whoop!

FYI, previously, I was running using Safari Version 15.5 (16613.2.7.1.9, 16613), running on macOS bigSur macOS 11.6.1 (20G211).

As the Reddit posts notes, it may be something to do with certificates - macOS has become very fussy about such matters. Oh well, something for the files :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will serve as a warning for others in the same boat. Thanks @phOx for all your help!

Now to chase down my other issue (PCI passthru). Maybe this will be a bit easier to address now my console etc is working as expected!

Reactions: ph0x
Sigh... after more googling, I found this.

So, I decided to try again, using Chrome (Version 104.0.5112.101 (Official Build) (x86_64) - and up popped the Fedora startup screen - whoop whoop!

FYI, previously, I was running using Safari Version 15.5 (16613.2.7.1.9, 16613), running on macOS bigSur macOS 11.6.1 (20G211).

As the Reddit posts notes, it may be something to do with certificates - macOS has become very fussy about such matters. Oh well, something for the files :rolleyes:

Hopefully this will serve as a warning for others in the same boat. Thanks @phOx for all your help!

Now to chase down my other issue (PCI passthru). Maybe this will be a bit easier to address now my console etc is working as expected!
It's a shame this forum doesn't allow problems to be marked as Fixed - to help folks chase down solutions. oh well, maybe for another day :) FOOL THAT I AM - IT HAS THIS FACILITY, WHICH I HAVE NOW USED. Ho hum...:rolleyes: Thanks once again to ph0x :)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!