how to avoid incremental USB device number for ONE Device after every PowerON?

andi112

Oct 15, 2020
Hello folks :)
First of all a great thank you for this incredible piece of software (PVE).

As I'm getting in touch with PVE discovering all the great possibilities I got my first questions.
What am I doing? I try to set up a headless scanner station with my Fujitsu Scansnap iX500 (using SANE and ScanBD) in an unpriviledged Debian 10 LXC.

So here my questions:
1. Host and LXC: The /dev/bus/usb/[port]/DeviceNumber increments with every PowerOn of the scanner. How can I get rid of that?
I tried to solve that by
- creating a UDEV rule symlinking it to /dev/usb/scanner and granting access to the mapped (LXC) User and for testing purpose mapped root.
- configuring the LXC.conf like this:
lxc.cgroup.devices.allow: c 189:* rwm lxc.mount.entry: /dev/usb/scanner dev/usb/scanner none bind,optional,create=file

Unfortunately the scanner wasn't recognized until I configured to use /dev/bus/usb/[port]/DeviceNumber again, which worked until the next PowerOff (standby) an On of the scanner.

2. Is it possible to passthrough a USB Port to a LXC (not only the device)
3. Can my "project" be realized with a container? I'd prefer that as a LXC is a lightweight posibility to run a "PC" 24/7 even if used not really frequently.

P.S. I posted my problem already in the german PVE forum, but maybe I couldn't get help as it was "too much" for one thread. So I try it here step by step.

Thanks in advance - Andi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!