How to add vmbr's without rebooting the whole Node?

berny

Mar 3, 2014
Hi all,

I installed Proxmox v3.1 on 3 physical machines and joined all of them inside a cluster.

Those machines Nic 1 are plugged to a cisco switch with Switchports trunk vlan 10,20,30.

My idea is to create many CTs on this cluster, each CT must be belong to a specific Vlan.
ex: CT101 interface connected to Vlan 10, CT104 interface connected to Vlan 20 ...

(i don't want to create the Vlans on the proxmox itself, i just want the proxmox to read then from the cisco switch trunked port)

I created so far a bridge on node 3 inside the cluster named vmbr10 and assigned eth1.10 as port.

The issue is that in order to activate the vmbr i need to restart the whole Node3 thus shutting down all CTs installed on it.

Please advise if there is a better method to perform that with only requirement to restart the network service on the CT itself.

thx in advance

Can someone please give me a detailed step by step example? with snapshots if possible

Thx

Edit your /etc/network/interfaces and create your interface in the desired VLAN:
auto eth1.2
iface eth1.2 inet static
address 0.0.0.0
netmask 0.0.0.0

- save and exit
- bring up the interface:
ifup eth1.2

- go to the GUI and create the bridge attached to the previously created interface
- go to CLI and do a "/etc/init.d/pvenetcommit start"
- bring up the bridge:
ifup vmbrXXX

Your done.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!