How to add SMB/CIFS Storage to Proxmox Datacenter

FiNaR

Sep 23, 2021
Hello,

I need to add an SMB network drive to my Proxomox implementation, but I am failing to add it.

so far I have done the followings:

• Datacenter -> Storage -> Add -> SMB/CIFS and filled in the info below:
    • ID: test_SMB
    • Server: 192.168.1.145 --> this is the SMB IP address on a macbook (smb://192.168.1.145)
    • User Name: John Smith --> macbook admin user account (yes it has a space!)
    • Password: John Smith's password on the macbook
    • Share: I select the shares that proxmox load in the dropdown menu which is actually fetching form 192.168.70.145
    • Nodes: All
    • Enable: yes
    • Content: VZDump backup file
    • Domani: "" --> empty ---> should I set here the Macbook name as workkgrup?

1652944924559.png
      once I click "Add" I get the following error:
      Code:
      create storage failed: storage 'Test_SMB' is not online (500)

• I have then tried with terminal to see if, from within proxmox I can see the SMB share... and I have performed the followings:
    • Datacenter -> PVE -> Shell
    • Typed: smbclient -L 192.168.1.145
    • Resonse: Enter WORKGROUP\root's password
      at this point I have tried many way to include thee password for the user John Smith in Macbook, but no luck

1652945034760.png

please note that the SMB share works, because I can easily access it with a Windows machine... the trouble seems to be when I try to access it from proxmox...

any suggestion pleas on how to attach SMB/CIFS storage to the Proxmox?

thank you all

Last edited:
hi,

Domani: "" --> empty ---> should I set here the Macbook name as workkgrup?
can be left empty.

Resonse: Enter WORKGROUP\root's password
at this point I have tried many way to include thee password for the user John Smith in Macbook, but no luck
have you tried passing the user flag for smbclient?
please try like this:
Code:
smbclient -L 192.168.1.145 -U "John Smith"
and then enter the password. does that work?

please try like this:
Code:
smbclient -L 192.168.1.145 -U "John Smith"
and then enter the password. does that work?
yes it does work! I can actually see the SMB shares

1652952656895.png

so why by adding it via UI it fails? and how do go proceed from here????

so why by adding it via UI it fails?
not sure, but maybe dmesg and/or journalctl can give you some hints as to why it failed.

and how do go proceed from here????
you can run dmesg -w and journalctl -f on two terminals and try to add the storage via the GUI again, look for any error messages (you can post them here as well)

you can run dmesg -w and journalctl -f on two terminals and try to add the storage via the GUI again, look for any error messages (you can post them here as well)
I cannot spot any errors :(

1652958574674.png

should I try to add it via terminal? would it make any sense? or would I complicate the setting?

something just changed now, not sure if it is related to the smb error
nope sadly not.

I cannot spot any errors
yes me neither from the outputs.

should I try to add it via terminal? would it make any sense? or would I complicate the setting?
you could try: pvesm cifsscan 192.168.1.145 --username "John Smith" --password, it should give you the share list.

to add it: pvesm add cifs SambaQuique --server 192.168.1.145 --share "Test" --username "John Smith" --password

Reactions: serfnoob
you could try:

pvesm cifsscan 192.168.1.145 --username "John Smith" --password,

it should give you the share list.

to add it:

pvesm add cifs SambaQuique --server 192.168.1.145 --share "Test" --username "John Smith" --password
getting closer :)

cifsscan retrieve the correct shartes :)

the challenge now is that with the add command, it does not find "SambaQuique"... what is this???

1652962805463.png

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!