How to add a existing disk in a new vm?

arevirjz

Mar 26, 2024
Hi everyone

Well i have a issue with my datacenter.

I have a datacenter with 6 nodes, every node have 2 VM with virtualdisks into a NAS storage.

i have the virtual disk (.qcow2) of these VM's in my storage (NAS) but i can't use to create a new VM with other ID
can i use these disk to create a new VM in another node?

1711414022740.png1711414049974.png

what exactly do you want to achieve? recover the VM that is on the failed node? if so, and if it only has shared resources (disks on shared NAS, no local passthrough or other things) then you can just move the config file in /etc/pve from one node to another to recover it.

if you really only want to import the disk image, you can use "qm import-disk" or "qm create" (create new VM) or "qm set" (update existing VM config) and the 'import-from=VOLUMEID' parameter to a disk slot like scsi0:

qm create 600 --net0 virtio,bridge=vmbr0 --name vm600 --serial0 socket \ --boot order=scsi0 --scsihw virtio-scsi-pci --ostype l26 \ --scsi0 pvedir:0,import-from=/path/to/dir/vm600.raw

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!