How do you manage security updates ?

T

topi

My question is really simple : how do you manage security updates of Debian/Proxmox ? As far, I was not able to find such a topic in the forum.

I request you point of view and your experiences about that topic. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in the best practices of more experienced users.

I mean, I've a server,in production, running Proxmox 2.2 and it works great ! But, regularly there are security updates either from Debian or from Proxmox (apt-get update, apt-get upgrade) ... and I don't know how to manage them ???
In my very short use of Debian/Proxmox I've no idea how far these updates have been tested and if it is wise to apply them in a production environment.

I can see several possibilities about the updates :
- you are quiet confident and you apply them as soon as possible
- you are more cautious and you wait for a downtime to apply them
- you apply them on a test server before applying them on a production server
- you are not confident at all and you never apply them
- ?

And here, I do not even talk about kernel updates.

I'm also curious to know on which basis (if) you update your server (every day, every week, every month ...) ? And is that something you automatized or you make it by hand ?

Regards

Topi

I'm also curious to know on which basis (if) you update your server (every day, every week, every month ...) ? And is that something you automatized or you make it by hand ?

That depends on you 'security' requirements. We usually do update by hand (I consider automated updates too dangerous within a server environment).

you can configure your apt that you get informed about new packages - then you can if an update is needed and you can manually update your servers.

We use Nagios to monitor either physical servers and virtual. There is a sensor to alert when updates are available. Of course, we do not use Nagios only for update but for a lot of parameters.

We have a scrit which launch update in a ssh ( putty ) environment but we check each by hand.

Thank you for your answers. It is very interesting to know how you handle updates.

@mel128 : thanks for the tip. I also implemented Nagios to monitor my servers, but I didn't know such a check_apt plugin existed. I'll try it.

Hello,

I'm still interested in your experience feedback about updates. How do you manage them with Proxmox ?

topi

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!