How do I visit my self hosted web app from public internet?

mik3MIKEm1ke

Apr 21, 2024
Background

I have a web app that I've been building and testing locally. I've deployed it to a server that I own, which is running here in my house. The server is connected via ethernet to my home router. I pay Xfinity for a normal residential plan, in which I have a single public IP address. On the server I have installed Proxmox, I've created VMs, deployed my code, it runs and I can view my web app over my LAN ip 10.0.0.26:<port>. That's great.

Problem

I need to be able to access this application from the public internet. How can I achieve this?

My Current Thoughts and Questions

( This is where I need help, so please forgive me for my ignorance.)
  1. During my research in forums I've read that I can set up forwarding so that public traffic going to my IP address is forwarded my app's address/port within my local network. However people claimed that this could be dangerous, as a mistake could potentially lock me out and brick my system. Some also mentioned that I would lose internet access within my home network.
  2. Could a cloud provider help? I don't know if this is even possible, but could I use AWS services to purchase an Elastic IP or a domain with Route 53, that I could then enter into Proxmox for use with these VMs running on my home server?
  3. Is there a service like NORD or something else, that I could use to purchase additional IP addresses? Would this work for my use case?
  4. Is this easily set up in Proxmox and do I just not know what tf I'm doing?
Constraints
  • I need to be able to maintain normal access to the internet within my household. Laptop, phone, other devices, etc.
  • I don't need a risky solution where if I make a mistake I'm going to lock myself out.
  • I'm willing to pay for a service if that's necessary, but hopefully it's not too expensive, maybe a max of $50 per month.
Any advice, direction, documentation, youtube videos would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

During my research in forums I've read that I can set up forwarding so that public traffic going to my IP address is forwarded my app's address/port within my local network. However people claimed that this could be dangerous, as a mistake could potentially lock me out and brick my system. Some also mentioned that I would lose internet access within my home network.
I don't see why. The only danger is that every bot net on the internet may attack your VM once you make it public. As long as no one DDoSes you, you shouldn`t lose your internet access.

Could a cloud provider help? I don't know if this is even possible, but could I use AWS services to purchase an Elastic IP or a domain with Route 53, that I could then enter into Proxmox for use with these VMs running on my home server?
Some VPN, like Cloudflare, between you and the internet might help to hide your public IP and prevent DDoS.

Is there a service like NORD or something else, that I could use to purchase additional IP addresses? Would this work for my use case?
Your ISP probably won't sell you more. Again, some VPN providers like Cloudflare might help.

Reactions: mik3MIKEm1ke

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!