How do I setup my proxmox 4 host and vm / container to be connected to the outside world?

zustudios

Renowned Member
Dec 13, 2015
Hi. I'm new to proxmox. I have one public ip. I have one nic. I'm having a major problem. I can ssh and view my websites from another computer at my house but no one can ssh or view my websites from the out side world.
my host and vm/container have private ips but when I try and ssh into my host via my public ip I get connection time out. How do I setup my proxmox 4 host and vm / container to be connected to the outside world? It's like my host and vm/container don't exist in the outside world ,only I can see them.

proxmox 4 server1.png can't ssh or view website.png zu-host.com 2.png ssh root@zu-host.com.png Sorry for wrong forum post. Where does post like this one go? My host machine is in my router's dmz. I'm new so that's where I am so far. I want all ports open for my host machine and my vm / container. Every time I try and add an iptable I loose connection and have to delete the iptable and restart. When I try to reach my proxmox panel from another computer from my public ip it doesn't work. I have to use the private ip and then after one day I can't use the private ip until I restart. My domains point to my private ip per vm/container.

# network interface settings; autogenerated

# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what

# you're doing.

#

# If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,

# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do

# so.

# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network

# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of

# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

auto lo

iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface

allow-hotplug eth0

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

address 192.168.X.XXX

netmask 255.255.XXX.X

gateway 192.168.X.X

broadcast 192.168.X.XXX

network 192.168.X.X

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

auto vmbr0

iface vmbr0 inet static

address 192.168.X.XXX

netmask 255.255.XXX.X

gateway 192.168.X.X

broadcast 192.168.X.XXX

network 192.168.X.X

dns-nameservers 8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4

bridge_ports eth0

bridge_stp off

bridge_fd 0

Last edited:
In Proxmox, there are 3 level of firewall. You should enable firewall in all level.
define your general security group and all individual rule for each group.
apply security group to host level, if necessary, vm level.

eg. at "datacenter" level, I just want certain IP or VPN to be able to connect to my proxmox GUI and SSH. You can use predefined macro in firewall rule or manual define your port range, IP range and protocol.
This general rules later add to host level across your clusters. Similar for VM.

my host and vm/container have private ips but when I try and ssh into my host via my public ip I get connection time out.
NAT, bridge or ..... ? Is this home router? does it port forwarded?

Everything is bridged. I still don't know how to set up nat yet. My host computer is in my router's dmz. No one can ssh into my host via my public ip address. I don't even think proxmox support can ssh into it. Unless I connect my host to the eth0 directly but then all vm/containers loose internet and only the host will have internet. I'm lost , I bet it's just a simple problem. What should I forward on my router so that my host computer and all of my vm/container will have all ports open(wide open) then I can work on the firewalls?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!