how do I run openvz containers from SAN or NAS

jvalla

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not sure how I would implement and run a container from a different storage device other than the Proxmox server itself.

Is there a way?

Of course you can, by mounting /var/lib/vz on your SAN/NAS...
But I think you can't mount this same directory on several nodes. Proxmox will try to replicated them, but they are the same...
It's certainly possible to modify vzmigrate to handle that, but on your own...

I did it! just for fun and it worked, don't know how but it did!
i created a vdisk (vzStore) on my FC san, the i presented it to the 2 proxmox server (in cluster mode). On the master, i created pv, vg and then a lv (vzLv1). a formated as ext3 and mounted it on /var/lib/vz on master.
of course vzLv was seen by node 1, when i mounted vzLv on /var/lib/vz it showed all the directories. But strangely the running VEs on master didn't appear on node1 (noting in root).
A assume that's not to do in prod!!!

By the way i think that waiting for PVE2.0 we have to present 2 different disks to mount them respectively on each /var/lib/vz and so using double space disk, to be able to use live migration on SAN. I'm right?

Of course, when I said to mount the same directory on several hosts, I meant with NFS, not FC !

By the way, with FC, you could do it with a clustered filesystem like OCFS2, GFS, glusterFS...
But you need some complicated cluster manager and the performances won't be so good.

yes i read a lot about clustered filesystems but i have never done that before and i don't think PVE supports it for OpenVz.
I prefer waiting for their HA solution, thinking at the actual work, it will probably be really good.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!