How do I keep the subscription server ID the same after reinstalling PVE on a machine?

tbjers

Aug 8, 2022
I am using Ansible to provision and deploy PVE to my bare-metal servers in my home lab. This works great, although I noticed that the Server ID changes with each new OS installation, even when the hardware is exactly the same. Is there a way to keep the server ID the same for each machine?

Haven't been able to find any info on this through search engines or in this forum, perhaps I am not using the correct terms when searching, or there's no documentation for this particular case.

Is it possible to set the Server ID and subscription key programmatically, somehow?

I noticed that if I recreate /etc/apt/auth.conf.d/pve.conf file with the subscription key and previous machine ID, I can at least access the enterprise repo to install, which was great. However, the PVE instance still thinks it has no license.

Not a massive deal since I only have two physical machines with 1 CPU each, so adding the license manually can be done, but dang do I hate doing things manually...

Thankful for your insight!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!