How do I install pve (not ISO) on Ubuntu?

spiritlhl

Apr 4, 2023
Hi everyone
Not long ago I finished a shell script to install PVE on debian with one click, only through the APT source, but when I wanted to adapt Ubuntu, I found that this way of installing PVE is not officially supported, is there a third party solution to install PVE on Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04 without using ISO?

Hi everyone
Not long ago I finished a shell script to install PVE on debian with one click, only through the APT source, but when I wanted to adapt Ubuntu, I found that this way of installing PVE is not officially supported, is there a third party solution to install PVE on Ubuntu 20.04 or 22.04 without using ISO?
As I know there is no ready solution. May I know why do you want Ubuntu?

To be honest, I used to do this to run convypanel on my ubuntu server, but now I'm doing it purely because I want to virtualize Windows in docker, a process that has led me to consider ProxmoxVE. installing the docker version of ProxmoxVE on Ubuntu is just a byproduct of this process, and my choice to use Vagrant instead of ProxmoxVE in docker has been successful.
Yet still the naging question: why do you want to do this besides "because I can"?

Last edited:
installing the docker version of ProxmoxVE on Ubuntu is just a byproduct of this process, and my choice to use Vagrant instead of ProxmoxVE in docker has been successful.
Vagrant and PVE are on different levels. You can just use Vagrant with whatever hypervisor you want including PVE.

ut now I'm doing it purely because I want to virtualize Windows in docker
Why don't you just go with Windows Docker? It has already built in support for windows server core and it the only viable and supported configuration for Windows in Docker.

What do you want to accomplish by running Windows in Docker? I don't see the use case.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!