How can i use GPU Passthrough on windows 10 for Adobe Premier Pro CC 2020?

frenk970

Jan 20, 2020
Good morning,
I would like to use my Nvidia GTX 1660 GPU on the Windows 10 VM for video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2020, I managed to integrate the GPU in passthrough and Premiere Pro sees it, makes me select it in the project, only that it tells me that it is not compatible to do Hardware encoding when I export even if on the Adobe website it is written that it is possible and it is 100% compatible, do you know if there is a fix or something I have to do more than normal integration?

This happens especially to me when I set the export to H264 or HEVC (H265)

I would use the vm with the GPU in passthrough especially for export to not keep my computer busy

Last edited:
only that it tells me that it is not compatible to do Hardware encoding when I export even if on the Adobe website it is written that it is possible and it is 100% compatible
maybe adobe detects virutalization and blocks it ? i would ask them if they can help you if the proxmox ve side works ok

Nvidia driver disables hardware acceleration if it detects virtualization, their tos does not allow you to run a consumer gpu in a vm.

You have to hide the hypervisor from the vm, requires you to set some custom kvm settings. At least thats what i had to do with libvirt kvm using a gtx 1080.

Nvidia driver disables hardware acceleration if it detects virtualization, their tos does not allow you to run a consumer gpu in a vm.

You have to hide the hypervisor from the vm, requires you to set some custom kvm settings. At least thats what i had to do with libvirt kvm using a gtx 1080.

Thanks, can you explain to me how to proceed?

Thanks, can you explain to me how to proceed?

To acctually know if this is the case, can you open up device manager on the vm and check if your gpu has an exclamation mark. If it says error code 43 under properties, nvidia has detected the vm and disabled the gpu. Otherwise you have another issue.

To acctually know if this is the case, can you open up device manager on the vm and check if your gpu has an exclamation mark. If it says error code 43 under properties, nvidia has detected the vm and disabled the gpu. Otherwise you have another issue.

no, I don't have this problemSchermata 2020-07-27 alle 16.10.49.png

H4R0 you are saying that you cannot use your 1080 (consumer grade) in a VM, regardin liceses issues?

Where did you read that please?

Until know i knew that you cannot use Nvidia software for vGPU, like GRID, and so on...

H4R0 you are saying that you cannot use your 1080 (consumer grade) in a VM, regardin liceses issues?

Where did you read that please?

Until know i knew that you cannot use Nvidia software for vGPU, like GRID, and so on...

Well its officialy blocked by the nvidia driver, try to run a nvidia gpu with stock kvm and it wont work. Same for esxi, hyper-v etc.

If you install the nvidia driver and read the policy of terms it is listed that its not allowed to use them as vGPU.

There is a extra product line for gpus to use with virtualization.

Just google for "nvidia code 43" and you will find a lot about it.

Proxmox already comes with a bypass for it.

Well its officialy blocked by the nvidia driver, try to run a nvidia gpu with stock kvm and it wont work. Same for esxi, hyper-v etc.

If you install the nvidia driver and read the policy of terms it is listed that its not allowed to use them as vGPU.

one question, are they blocked by hardware (or physical failure) or blocked by drivers?

one question, are they blocked by hardware (or physical failure) or blocked by drivers?

They are blocked by the nvidia driver, resolution will be limited to 800x600 and hardware acceleration will be disabled which makes them useless.

But like already said there is a bypass available, proxmox is not affected by it. Its still against the license though..

Im not sure what exactly your problem with adbobe is, maybe they are also limiting virtualization ? Or simply the selected codec is not supported by your gpu.

Thank you.. glad to know it.

Its very sad those limitations, as technolgy evolves.. seems very nasty to limit your hardware uses.

Hope the future to have open source drivers that does better without license harassments

They are blocked by the nvidia driver, resolution will be limited to 800x600 and hardware acceleration will be disabled which makes them useless.

But like already said there is a bypass available, proxmox is not affected by it. Its still against the license though..

Im not sure what exactly your problem with adbobe is, maybe they are also limiting virtualization ? Or simply the selected codec is not supported by your gpu.

from this information export to H264 and H265 on GTX 1660 is supported
https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Also tested with DaVinci Resolve 16, but nothing does not export with the video card CPU use 90% and GPU use 10%

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!