How Can I Install Proxmox on a Raid 10?

Danielc1234

Jan 10, 2010
I just upgraded our server with 4-WD drives and in the bios set it for Raid, then on the bios software set the drives to Raid 10.

I then booted to Proxmox install cd and proceeded to install, but noticed it was only installing on the 0 drive. After the installation, looked everything was fine, but when I rebooted the system to enter the proxmox, it acts like nothing is there. I wont boot to the Proxmox.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Daniel

I just upgraded our server with 4-WD drives and in the bios set it for Raid, then on the bios software set the drives to Raid 10.

I then booted to Proxmox install cd and proceeded to install, but noticed it was only installing on the 0 drive. After the installation, looked everything was fine, but when I rebooted the system to enter the proxmox, it acts like nothing is there. I wont boot to the Proxmox.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Daniel
Hi,
this sounds like that you use a fake-raid. If it's a true raid, the os see only one big disk and not four single disks.
With lspci you can look, which raid-controller you have.
pve don't support fake-raid and if you wan't a raid-10 becours of the speed it makes sense to get an good hardware-raid-controller.

Udo

Udo, thanks for the reply. Yes unfortunately it is a 'fake' raid 10. I have looked around the forums and see others with this same issue. Looks like more money to get this thing going! :(

Do you think since I only have one server running the Centos, PHP, simple email server and SQL all together that I should even be thinking about VT?

Is there any speed advantage or other advantage to use Proxmox?

Hi,
i don't know VT - i only know vmware (esx v2 til v4) and proxmox. At the company we use vmware and proxmox and i'm very happy with proxmox (but some smp-windows-guests runs better on vmware - many guests runs equal or better on proxmox :)
I make good experience with opensource-software and don't like the software from redmond...

But most of your clients (email, centos) are predestined for openvz: marginal performance-lost. Good io and cpu-performance. And, this time you have only internal storage (if i understand you right), so you have no problems, that openvz-clients are only use local storage.

The money for a good raid-controller is a good investment.
Take a look at http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3000
for some perf-values.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!