How can I change the language in the login mask to default?

humpen

Oct 16, 2012
Hello, my first thread :cool:

How can I change the language in the login mask (Proxmox VE login)?
The default language ist english and so I want to set it to german(defalut).

In which config file can I change this?

Thanx!

Your browser will just use the language you selected on your last visit.

(there is no config file)

Hi, we would request a conf-file/conf-option, to set the default language on the login mask or using system language as default. We hope, you can do this little feature. Very thanks.

regards

currently there is no plan to change this.

hi,

the problem is, if you clean your browser on close it, the cookies are deleted and after next start custumer has already wrong language on login page. The best was using system language as standard.

regards

hi,

the problem is, if you clean your browser on close it, the cookies are deleted and after next start custumer has already wrong language on login page. The best was using system language as standard.

regards

Not really. A default installed browser does not clean cookies on exit.

right, but a many custs have enabled this option... we do add a request in tracker - ok.

cp /usr/share/pve-manager/locale/pve-lang-de.js /usr/share/pve-manager/locale/pve-lang-en.js

cp /usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/locale/ext-lang-de.js /usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/locale/ext-lang-en.js

cp /usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/locale/ext-lang-de.js /usr/share/pve-manager/ext4/locale/ext-lang-en_GB.js

Bye

Last edited:
Reactions: mannebk
I would like a better thing than to replace the en files with the preferred local files. Since waiting for a interface to change the language every time at login is annoying. The software serves me, not the other way round. And also I am fluent in English; I rather have it in German.

And I do not know anybody that does not clean their browser cache on exit! Also it makes the DSGVO even more annoying; still, next session is always a clean start.

Unfortunatly in Version 5 this dirty tweak does not work any more, the langugae files have moved to

/usr/share/pve-i18n/

and there is no en file... :-( I hate it when programmers brake some short cut on intention!

Last edited:
found it

look at row 60 of this file:
Code:
/usr/share/javascript/proxmox-widget-toolkit/proxmoxlib.js

first of all, I just killed all not used languages with double dash '//' (even en) as the default still exists

so now I got English (Default) and German.... that is a start.

I'll just have to warp my mind around this code to fix that "Default=English" thing

PHP:
    render_language: function (value) {
        if (!value) {
            return Proxmox.Utils.defaultText + ' (English)';
        }
        var text = Proxmox.Utils.language_map[value];
        if (text) {
            return text + ' (' + value + ')';
        }
        return value;
    },

language_array: function() {
        var data = [['__default__', Proxmox.Utils.render_language('')]];
        Ext.Object.each(Proxmox.Utils.language_map, function(key, value) {
            data.push([key, Proxmox.Utils.render_language(value)]);
        });

return data;
    },

Last edited:
Hello, I know this is a very old subject, but I was looking for that option too, and manage to do it by just adding this in the
/etc/pve/datacenter.cfg,
under the "keyboard: fr" just add :
language: fr
save and restart the pveproxy.service.
it did it for me!

Reactions: Holger Gehrmann
Hello, I know this is a very old subject, but I was looking for that option too, and manage to do it by just adding this in the
/etc/pve/datacenter.cfg,
under the "keyboard: fr" just add :
language: fr
save and restart the pveproxy.service.
it did it for me!
Thank you very much, it works for me too!
I don't have to restart the pveproxy.service.

See https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Manual:_datacenter.cfg

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!