HOT Backup possible only with LVM?

So I have .raw image which I want to back it up without being suspended. I need to have LVM group configured right as a backup storage?

currently you need LVM for live backups of KVM guests. with Proxmox VE 2.3, it works without LVM.

the default ISO install configures LVM in the right way, so you can store .raw files on the local storage and you can do live backups via LVM snapshots.

I see, nah I had RAID-1 configured for OS1 while I configured RAID 5 directly. Actaully what I did is by default PMX got installed on RAID1 = 250 GB and then I formatted the RAID 5 2.75 TB with fdisk. I guess I haven't configured for LVM. This is I need to give while defining partition type, right? 8e?

Then configured KVM64 and installed Mail server but when I specify backup the machine gets suspended and then backed up.

How would I "Add" Storage, I added as a Directory. that should have been added as LVM Group?

Tom,

The other thing I am interested is can we build cluster using LVM storage and it can be used as a share drive to live migration?

Q1/2013

Tom,

The other thing I am interested is can we build cluster using LVM storage and it can be used as a share drive to live migration?

yes but if you have more questions please open a new thread. (only one topic per thread).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!