hostusb problem

stif

Jul 5, 2011
Hi folks,

I do have a problem with usb pass through to a KVM machine, and dont know how to resolve it:
First i want to say i do use proxmox 1.9 with the latest updates and i have an Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS minimal kvm guest also with the latest updates.
On the guest there is a database and some software protected by a usb-dongle (to protect the database connection to other workstations in the network)
I did add the usb-dongle via
Code:
qm set 104 -hostusb 064f:03e9
to the host and everything was fine for a couple of weeks until now.

But i had to do a reboot of the server because of a change in the /etc/vz/vz.conf file and now i am unable to passthrough the usb-dongle :(

At first the virtual machine did not start at all, and after removing the usb-dongle i could start up the machine.
When i try to replug the usb-dongle in the host, the virtual machine is crashing immediately!

i played around with the /etc/qemu-server/104.conf file (commented out the usbhost, enabled it again), but whatever i do, without usb there is no problem, as soon i plug in the dongle, the machine do not start up or crashes if it was running before.
In the syslog of the host and the guest i did not find anything about this problem.

I dont know what to do, but this virtual machine is very important, because this database is hosting all accounting information of the company i work for (bills, stock, etc)

Please anybody help me with this problem

to make the picture more complete, here is the dmesg output on the host for this usb-dongle:

usb 8-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
usb 8-2: New USB device found, idVendor=064f, idProduct=03e9
usb 8-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 8-2: Product: CodeMeter-Stick
usb 8-2: Manufacturer: WIBU-SYSTEMS AG
usb 8-2: SerialNumber: 0001144880
usb 8-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
scsi14 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
usb-storage: device found at 2
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 14:0:0:0: Direct-Access WIBU - CodeMeter-Stick v1.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 14:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg5 type 0
sd 14:0:0:0: [sdf] 80384 512-byte logical blocks: (41.1 MB/39.2 MiB)
sd 14:0:0:0: [sdf] Write Protect is off
sd 14:0:0:0: [sdf] Mode Sense: 03 00 00 00
sd 14:0:0:0: [sdf] Assuming drive cache: write through
sdf: sdf1
sd 14:0:0:0: [sdf] Attached SCSI disk

Just tried to passthrough another USB device (a usb cd-rom) to the guest and i have the same issue. (with passthrough it hangs, without it boots perfectly)
So it looks like to me, there is an regression in the last updates regarding the usb-passthrough. Is this possible? Whats the best thing to do, to get it up running asap?
Install a new system on a physical machine and migrate the database?

Here is the version output from pveversion:

proxmox:~# pveversion -v
pve-manager: 1.9-26 (pve-manager/1.9/6567)
running kernel: 2.6.32-6-pve
proxmox-ve-2.6.32: 1.9-55+ovzfix-1
pve-kernel-2.6.32-6-pve: 2.6.32-55+ovzfix-1
qemu-server: 1.1-32
pve-firmware: 1.0-14
libpve-storage-perl: 1.0-19
vncterm: 0.9-2
vzctl: 3.0.29-3pve1
vzdump: 1.2-16
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.0.11-1
pve-qemu-kvm: 0.15.0-2
ksm-control-daemon: 1.0-6

downgrade the updated packages, e.g. use pve-qemu-kvm 0.15.0-1

http://download.proxmox.com/debian/dists/lenny/pve/binary-amd64/pve-qemu-kvm_0.15.0-1_amd64.deb

[SOLVED] hostusb problem

Indeed, downgrade the pve-qemu-kvm to version 0.15.0-1 did the trick.
Now it works again like expected - thanks a lot tom.

Should I file a bug somewhere?

Thanks again and greetings from Vienna :)

Re: [SOLVED] hostusb problem

Same problem here with Win2008-Server guest in KVM. Downgrade from pve-qemu-kvm 0.15.0-2 to pve-qemu-kvm 0.15.0-1 solved the problem too.
Thanks!

Re: [SOLVED] hostusb problem

i have also the problem with proxmox 3.0 installation .. is this also recommending for proxmox 3.0 ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!